Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New member here, have tried to search forum for answer before posting but can't find what I am looking for.
My father-in-law has parked a 1975 restored Spider in my garage with 55K miles. Cool car, very nice restoration, sort of tricked out a little.
Here is the question: There are two plastic square pieces on top of the valve cover which one appears to let a very tiny amount of oil to leak out, very minimal. I was wondering what this design is all about and can these be placed or resealed or what other options would be available for fixing this.
Thanks in advance.
alfaLKN

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
The 'Squares' are likely the remainder of clips that held a tube running from the exhaust manifold to the airbox. The tube is missing (correct?), and the two vertical securing tabs on each square have been broken off. If I remember, the clips were attached by rivets. Some people remove these and just run screws into the cam cover and/or use some sort of sealant around the location. This was part of the emissions package at the time and, depending on the inspection process in your area, you might need to restore the clip / tube assembly to the original configuration - or not.

Hello,
New member here, have tried to search forum for answer before posting but can't find what I am looking for.
My father-in-law has parked a 1975 restored Spider in my garage with 55K miles. Cool car, very nice restoration, sort of tricked out a little.
Here is the question: There are two plastic square pieces on top of the valve cover which one appears to let a very tiny amount of oil to leak out, very minimal. I was wondering what this design is all about and can these be placed or resealed or what other options would be available for fixing this.
Thanks in advance.
alfaLKN

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
if you mean these plastic hose clamps for the smog set up, then they will be riveted on...I guess you'd need to remove the cam cover and re-rivet to do it right.
2nd pic shows the clamps broken off, but you can see the rivets.

EDIT: or what George just wrote!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thanks a ton. I would have never guessed that was the original intent of the plastic pieces. Not sure what I'll do to remedy the situation but I'll post whatever I come up with. Need to post pictures, It is a really cool ride.
Again, thank you very much for the help.
alfaLKN

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
or even cheaper... take of the cover, put some masking tape over the holes. get some jb weld, fill from the underside let dry. pull off masking tape sand to finish..

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts