1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yeah terrible stuff isn't it, get those Alfa's (and your family and friends!) to high ground.

History tends to repeat itself, this happened in the 1890's, 1950's, 1970's and now.

I suppose there are only so many things you can do, mother nature always has the upper hand.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, since 74 they built Wivenhoe which is a pretty bloody big dam. Just couldn't control this amount of water. Man can't control everything.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Derek,

These events are terrible all we can hope for is that our families, friends and those we care about are safe and well. make sure we try and save the things we love (including our Alfa's). we all feel helpless!!
Let us know if there is anything that we can do as Alfisti.

Jim

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
You are in our thoughts here at this Alfista home and we will pray that you and yours will not well and truly cop it. All the best and stay safe.

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
My youngest daughter is 10 min outside of Brisbane, she is still on higher ground but this is all such devastating news.. She said the rain keeps up it's torrential downpour and all they can do is stay indoors.

Stay safe hun.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Derek, Good to hear you're dry over your way - we're ok too, and so are the couple of other alfisti I know... plenty aren't so lucky.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Stay safe all you guys in Queensland. Having watched this unfold on TV over the past couple of weeks I can only imagine how horrible and destructive the floods are.

It must be so hard for so many up there, the recovery will undoubtedly take time and will be so costly. I am sure that Australia as a Nation will come together to help all it can to allow people's lives, homes, business etc to be rebuilt. All the very best. Dave

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Story that broke here..The older brother that got his younger brother saved but then was swept away with his mother, Godspeed!:(

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
It makes you proud to be Australian to see how brilliantly everyone has dealt with the massive devastation. There are some very sad stories as well as wonderful uplifting ones. The death toll could have been much worse. Let us hope the worst of it is over.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my work escaped flooding by only 10cm! We were very fortunate so I spent half the day bringing all the equipment downstairs and resetting it up. Yesterday and this afternoon has been spent helping my father clean up. He is living on a 45ft steel yacht that he is building but lost most of his powertools, fridge, washing machine etc in the shed next to it. Many boats, were damaged but thankfully his was ok. Boy that mud is smelly and hard to clean off everything even with a pressure washer.

I must agree with oz3litre, the amount of volunteers helping out complete strangers to clean up their properties was amazing. Best display of community spirit I have ever seen. There were workteams everywhere, sausage sizzles etc. Lots of donations from all around Australia. Definitely a positive out of such a terrible disaster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts