Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blue 1988 Spider Quadrifoglio. The seat covers and foam are SHOT so I definitely need to reupholster. I'm not personally a fan of the grey leather and red carpets. If it were a blank slate, I'd reupholster in tan leather and black carpet. How "sacred" is sticking to the original color choices in terms of value? I'm not that in tune with the market, so I'm worried if non-original seats will be an issue if/when it comes time to sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about sticking to originality seeing as you have a blue Quad which was not a factory color. Factory Quad colors were red, black and silver. The red/grey interior came with each of those exterior colors and is a little funky and not to everybody's liking, but I definitely don't see it going well with a blue exterior, so I can see a definite reason why you might not like it. What type of blue is it? I'd love to see a pic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought it last month. It's a six owner car, so documentation of its history is patchy. I originally thought it must've been a different color, but I found an old listing of the car online and it said it came with a matching blue hard top. Figured it had to be original color. That top was lost at some point, unfortunately. Ignore the partially painted house... It's another Covid project.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
original or not, I think that is a great shade of blue for the S3 spider, really suits it to a tee:)

what colour is it under the hood & trunk etc? same blue? if so someone has gone to a lot of trouble and expense doing a full respray.
Is there a color code sticker under the trunk lid?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Very nice color for it being non-original.

Those are the not the original rims for the car.

Those rims belong to a lower level (Veloce) Spider.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't normally like anything other that absolute stock/original, but the blue is really nice. The engine compartment is silver/grey. I wasn't sure if those were left painted in base coat or something. Haven't checked for a paint code. Yeah, I'm a little bummed it doesn't have the phone dial wheels. The spare is the same wheel with what appears to be the original tire as well. It has the Quad skirts, bumpers, and badges, so I guess it could be a fake, but that would've been a lot of work. I'm in Rochester, NY.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
bear in mind those optional 5 star wheels are a lot lighter than phonedials! (less unsprung weight)
I'd keep them.
If under the hood is silver, then the car was v.probably silver argento metallic AR767....if it still has the paint code sticker, that should confirm things

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tan would look nice with that blue.

I changed from all grey to grey/black on the seats when I had them redone.
Will eventually change carpet to black, wish you could still get the 1 piece molded carpet.
Problem is, the carpet still looks like new so I have a hard time justifying the change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bear in mind those optional 5 star wheels are a lot lighter than phonedials! (less unsprung weight)
I'd keep them.
If under the hood is silver, then the car was v.probably silver argento metallic AR767....if it still has the paint code sticker, that should confirm things
It did have the color code, it was silver argento metallic!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tan would look nice with that blue.

I changed from all grey to grey/black on the seats when I had them redone.
Will eventually change carpet to black, wish you could still get the 1 piece molded carpet.
Problem is, the carpet still looks like new so I have a hard time justifying the change.

View attachment 1621024
Nice! I hear ya, the carpets in mine are in really good shape too. And I really don't mind the red. Just not with grey or tan leather. I'll have to hold onto them.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I'm generally not into blue for anything except blue jeans, but that looks real nice. I have a Quad (red) and the phonedials were the first things I changed on the car. I like the Veloce 5 stars much more. They'd be even nicer if 15".

I like the idea of black and gray interior with a red, black or silver Quad.

·
Registered
87 Alfa Spider Quad
35 Posts
When faced with the same dilemma I went with black seats with red stitching and black door cards. Looks so much better than that 80s gray. Do what makes you happy, don't worry about resale. Who knows what the market will be like when you're ready to sell. Hopefully they'll be going for $50 grand each and it won't matter!
20200217_122712.jpg

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
223 Posts
I just purchased those today from Classic Alfa. Those look Awesome. Did you do it yourself/ what was the process like?

·
Registered
87 Alfa Spider Quad
35 Posts
I had a shop do the seats and replace the foam. Upholstery is not something I have any interest in learning. Glad you're making the upgrade too!

·
Registered
87 Alfa Spider Quad
35 Posts
@MissMyAlfaDan, your seats look fantastic! I want to do this with mine... Where did you go to have this work done (I'm new to this). Also, how do you like that steering wheel? Mine should be changed out sooner than later. Thank you!
I just had a local upholstery shop do it. You can order the seat covers online if you're inclined to do it yourself.

I like the steering wheel, but the swap was purely cosmetic, I just like the wooden wheel better. One downside is that it might not be as thick as the stock wheel. If you order one, be sure it's at least the same diameter as the stock wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts