Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and already very impressed by the vast amount of knowledge that members are willing to share.

I have an '86 quad that was pretty much abused by its previous owner. Lots of issues to the extent that I'm not always sure it's worth it. But, then, I turn the key...

The door panels were removed by the previous owner due to a burned out window motor and are in pretty bad shape due to damage from water and ineptitude. Does anyone know of a source for replacements? I found them listed at Alfa Parts Online but an email inquiry confirmed they're no longer available. I'm sure I could keep an eye on ebay, etc but the chance of finding something better than what I have seems remote. Another alternative is to have new panels made and reuse the existing upholstery as it's in very good shape. Anyone have any experience with that alternative?

Thanks for your help. It's the first of what I'm sure will be many questions...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Pictures. Must have pictures.....

The panels aren't too hard to reproduce, especially if you're going to re-use the original skins. (no pattern to match) Basically it's a trace and cut-out job using whatever backer board material you prefer.

There's a couple threads in this section and down in the restoration subsection that cover it along with pix.

Likely the hardest part you'll run up against is finding the really short staples used to hold the skin onto the backer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Darren. I did some searching on this topic but couldn't locate the posts you mention, although I found some really good ones on removing and reinstalling panels. I'll check it out in more detail.

There's a local Mom and Pop shop that does reproduction interior pieces for classic cars and I'm wondering if they can do what needs to be done here. I could make new panels myself but there are only so many hours in the day and too many slips of paper in the job jar...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts