Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very cool, I'm so jealous !!

Nice blog post, very informative. I saw the red one on the Friday, up and back on Hwy 68 between Tarpy's Roadhouse and Monterey, looked awesome ! Then saw the white one at the Concours on Sunday.

Your comment re: the transmission caught my attention as that's one of my biggest concerns about this car - I'm also a diehard full manual guy, and not at all sure that I want to "downgrade" to a sequential shifter.

BTW, the interior of this car... I love it from what I've seen so far, and/but... I am currently the proud owner of a 2013 Fiat Abarth 500 and it's a bit interesting to me how bits of the 4C's interior seem to be very very similar, the steering wheel for one. I'm sure overall fit and finish is superior, but still. I mean, I own this little Abarth outright and it's just soooo much fun/sounds great and it's practical, too - interesting choices!

Cheers,

Mike G.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure the same design team worked on many parts of both the Abarth and the 4C. Even the sound, under acceleration, is actually not all that different between the Abarth and this car. The weight distribution, suspension, and brakes make for a very different, and extremely confident feel. The launch edition cost will be okay for those who can afford it and want the more collectible version. The later cars are cheaper and will still have the same basic look, options, and performance.

Is it twice the car your Abarth is? Nope. Is it better? Yes, if you have the extra cash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the response ! Do you happen to know if Alfa Romeo will be showing the car at the LA Auto Show ? I was disappointed when they decided (seemingly in the 11th hour) not to display there last year.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fred,

Extremely jealous - lucky you. Its a short drive to London, ON..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fred,

Extremely jealous - lucky you. Its a short drive to London, ON..
^
This
(and you can show it to both of us at the same time) :D

EDIT:
What can you tell us about the specs on the cars you drove, and if they differed?
The photo's appear to not be Launch Edition. So are they SE's or some pre-production prototypes which may not really be the same as what will land in dealerships (especially under the skin)?

Do you know if the red in that photo is the Competitzione, or the Alfa red? I have such trouble discerning, owing to the lighting effect on the CR. And from other photos I've seen, they appear to have the racing exhaust. Also track suspension? Or if you drove both suspensions, can you recall differences?

Sorry to pester you with questions like these, but yours were rare opportunities, and you certainly have more seat time than any dealer I've spoken with!

Thanks for sharing your article - nice stuff!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car at the factory was a Euro Launch Edition back in April. Since I was only there for photographs and the short drive was an extra, I don't know all the differences between it and the US version last month. My handler wasn't prepared to answer technical questions.
The Euro Launch Edition had the unique headlamps, wider rear license plate opening, and Euro dash display. The car in California is an early production North America spec car with all the Launch Edition options. It is a strong rumor that the official NA Launch Edition will have the more normal headlights but I've heard facts that change in the past so I'll wait and see. Since both North American and the Euro Launch Edition were to have the same options, I was lead to believe the only real changes would be the visual cues mentioned and the added safety items that add 200+/- pounds to the US car.
So... Both cars looked very much the same inside and out, even both having the 19" wheel option. The Red in the photos was the solid Red, as opposed to the Competizione Metallic Red on the Euro car. I have photos of Solid Red, Metallic Red, Silver, and White versions. I have brochures for both a Launch Edition and Standard 4C so when I get home... I may share the option spec regarding brakes, suspension, exhaust, trim, etc.
If you talk Phil into swapping cars with me, I'll try to find another 4C ride and head to London so you and he can play while I thrash his great cars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The car at the factory was a Euro Launch Edition back in April. Since I was only there for photographs and the short drive was an extra, I don't know all the differences between it and the US version last month. My handler wasn't prepared to answer technical questions.
The Euro Launch Edition had the unique headlamps, wider rear license plate opening, and Euro dash display. The car in California is an early production North America spec car with all the Launch Edition options. It is a strong rumor that the official NA Launch Edition will have the more normal headlights but I've heard facts that change in the past so I'll wait and see. Since both North American and the Euro Launch Edition were to have the same options, I was lead to believe the only real changes would be the visual cues mentioned and the added safety items that add 200+/- pounds to the US car.
So... Both cars looked very much the same inside and out, even both having the 19" wheel option. The Red in the photos was the solid Red, as opposed to the Competizione Metallic Red on the Euro car. I have photos of Solid Red, Metallic Red, Silver, and White versions. I have brochures for both a Launch Edition and Standard 4C so when I get home... I may share the option spec regarding brakes, suspension, exhaust, trim, etc.
If you talk Phil into swapping cars with me, I'll try to find another 4C ride and head to London so you and he can play while I thrash his great cars.
Thanks for the reply!
Sure I cannot fob you off on a Honda CR-Z? It's red. :D

If you are able to show some pictures of the different colours (especially the two reds or the two whites in similar light or together), that would be very much appreciated. They are so incredibly hard to compare or even distinguish from most pictures on the internet.

The option list we have already here . But impressions about the differences are lacking (and will be until people here actually get to drive the non-launch ("standard") edition 4C as the LE only comes in one configuration).

Thank you again for your input here. Most appreciated.
Now, I'll see about trying to twist that arm and get you a car to thrash…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts