Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings!
I would like to get some advice about the new mechanical fuel pump which I am installing on my 1984 Nuova Giulietta. The pushrod came out during the removal of the old unit, and I cannot find a hole in that area of the engine block deep enough put the pushrod back in. There are two bolt holes for re-attaching the new fuel pump, and there is a 1mm deep "crevice" in between - where I am not able to re-insert the pushrod. (The pushrod is more than 1" long, and the fuel pump only "gives" less than 1/4" where the pushrod touches.)

As another question, how do I remove the air filter airbox from the two Dell Orto carburetors? I have removed to nuts and two bolts between the airbox and the carburetors, but the airbox is still solidly attached to the carburetors.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
as for the fuel pump: your pushrod must be the part number :116.00.042.05.00 just to be sure, actually a common rod for many later or even earlier alfas. You must have on your hand also 2 thin gaskets and one very thick (made from ceramic or a new plastic) . these gaskets are for this exactly job, do you have them? Finally, when you have all parts in order : pushrod in the hole (front engine's cover) then one thin gasket-then the thick gasket -then the other thin gasket - then the pump, push ALL together firmly and screw the bolts at once. Expect some opposite force since the pump's inside spring is really strong. This is normal and you can screw the bolts as specified and you finished. Keep in mind that this is the case you have the CORRECT fuel type pump (original part number is :116.08.0402003) and the CORRECT push rod!

·
Registered
228 Posts
ohh, as for the airbox. I suppose you have the big flat box, so if you only want to get of the filter element there are 4 clips around. If you mean ALL the filter box there are not only 2 bolts...between box and manifold there are 8 bolts while there are also 2 bolts in the bracket which going all the way till the right front engine mount! Do you have any service or parts manual for your gIULETTA?

·
Registered
228 Posts
if it is still difficult for you to understand, send me a PM here , maybe a copy of the interesting pages of the manual will be useful to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Alfaroad
Thank you for your reply to my request for help. After getting more light down deep in the engine bay, I found there IS a hole in the engine block for the pushrod, but the hole is about 5mm, and not the 6mm size the pushrod that I have. (I think the previous owner's mechanics did not install the old fuel pump properly, because there was about 1/2" of dried oil everywhere for about 6" in every direction. I have some supplier contacts for a new pushrod, but do you have any suggestions about where to get the proper pushrod (mine is 6mm in diameter and about 72mm long)?

As for the air box, I still could not find any more bolts connecting it to the carburetors or the engine itself, but it is not moving, so I must have missed something. (I want to remove it to rebuild the Dell Orto carburetors.)

I have not figured out how to do a private message on this bulletin board yet, so I did not respond to you in that way.

Thank you for the communication!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought that you will use the PM option so to share details. It is so easy and friendly to send private messages. Just click on the member's name and use the link "send a message to a member". Are you sure that car used to have a mechanical pump in the past? I mean maybe the PO upgraded for a electric pump and you just got now the wrong pump or just a wrong pushrod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts