Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see a thread, so I thought I would query.....

Need of a full set next weekend and looking for some guidance. The car is used as a highway commuter a couple of times a week and for running around. You know - a regular car.

Foreign/domestic manufactures?

Wholesaler type outlets?

Brands/dealers to avoid?

Thoughts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Didn't see a thread, so I thought I would query.....

Need of a full set next weekend and looking for some guidance. The car is used as a highway commuter a couple of times a week and for running around. You know - a regular car.

Foreign/domestic manufactures?

Wholesaler type outlets?

Brands/dealers to avoid?

Thoughts are appreciated.
I just ordered a set from Sam's Club as they beat my Bj's wholesale price but I like BFG tires and have used them for over 10 years on my daily driver 164

See this links for info on tire opinions: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/search.php?searchid=811301

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just put a set of 205/60ZR15 BFG G-Force Sport on my 91S. I have 15x7 wheels, so that size might not work with stock size wheels. They were purchased from Tire Rack - less than $70 a tire. I wanted something sticker than the Kumho 711, but I did not want to spend a million dollars.

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
I ran a set of 205-60-15 on stock 15x6 wheels with no problems as width not an issue. I have a set of 15x7 Zenders I hope to go to 215 or 225 width on them but may have to use extra spacers for 225 width.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I'll second the Kumhos. I have them on my 164S and they are great! I think it was only about $49 per tire! You can even have Tirerack ship the tires to the dealer of your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I like these.....

205/60R-15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000s on the stock phone dials.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have Kumhos K11's on the L and they are a great touring tire. Great price too. I have Hankook Ventus Sport 104's on the S and I like those too. I use Discount Tire Direct.com since they do not charge shipping like Tire Rack.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tires

I bought a set of Kuhmos for the '93 164 and they are great both in handling and price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
bought a set from pep boys 60 thousand mile warranty and all the raod hazzard mounted balanced nitrogen filled the works paid $418 out the door and even had a $70 mail in rebate. made a world of difference in how it drives

·
Registered
460 Posts
bought a set from pep boys 60 thousand mile warranty
Do not take this wrong, but be aware of the trade offs involved with such a long wearing tire. The OEM tires fitted by Alfa provided a good mix of performance and tread wear. Many of the tires people have listed lean more to wards to performance end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
164 Tires

It sounds like you are looking for low cost in a stock size. Just be sure you get the correct speed rating - you want at least a V rating, which won't be a cheap tire. I have had good like with Pirelli tires as they seem to be quieter and have a better ride quality than the Japanese tires while still handling well. Very stiff sidewalls and square shoulder profiles do not seem to work well with the high negative camber geometry of the 164. That is my experience after drivng 164's for >250k miles - I've used up a lot of tires!

My current tires are Pirelli P Zero Nero size 225/45 x 17 on OZ 17 x 8 wheels. These are the best tires I've used by far! Really quiet and smooth with nicely sharp handling - they look good too. These wheels came with Dunlop SP 9000 size 215/45 x 17 (as recommended by Tire Rack) and they were quite dreadful. Very harsh with severe tramlining on our rutted US highways. There just wasn't enough sidewall height for 8 inch wide wheels in the 215 size - 225/45 is the way to go for 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You can get more than you paid for with many tires these days. Don't let a name you are not familiar with, steer you away from some great tires. You have to use your own judgement of course, but I have had some great experiences with several different Sumitomos, Yokohomas (on other cars) and now these Kumhos (on the 164). The KH11s are V rated and the larger ones are Z.
Charles

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I originally put Dunlop SP2000s all round on mine and found them to be great. 14,000 miles later and needed a new set as drive REALLY HARD and opted for the A-symetric Dunlop SP1s, this time upgrading from V to W speed rated as do enjoy going for the max in Germany, usually with a stuffed full car, for long journeys.
SP1s even better than the SP2000s, progressive break away and lots of grip, easy to balance it between understeer and oversteer on the limit - never gone for a 4-wheel drift though.

Reckon the 164 is so well balanced anyway that it is probably hard to go wrong with tyres for general driving fun. Mine is a 24V but the comments apply to the 12V too, although aerodynamically I never liked the 12V until you were going above 100mph, seemed unsettled below that - 24V very stable at all speeds; at least that is my experience :)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I originally put Dunlop SP2000s all round on mine and found them to be great. 14,000 miles later and needed a new set as drive REALLY HARD and opted for the A-symetric Dunlop SP1s, this time upgrading from V to W speed rated as do enjoy going for the max in Germany, usually with a stuffed full car, for long journeys.
SP1s even better than the SP2000s, progressive break away and lots of grip, easy to balance it between understeer and oversteer on the limit - never gone for a 4-wheel drift though.

Reckon the 164 is so well balanced anyway that it is probably hard to go wrong with tyres for general driving fun. Mine is a 24V but the comments apply to the 12V too, although aerodynamically I never liked the 12V until you were going above 100mph, seemed unsettled below that - 24V very stable at all speeds; at least that is my experience :)
Further reading of other comments encourages me to add.

Comfort wise these tyres are fine. Never tried SP9000s and they may indeed be awful but can't comment on them either way. Did have Yokohama A008 (or something like that) on my upgraded X1/9 and they gripped like stink but wore out faster than any stink and tramlined. Worst tramliners ever experience were old Firestones but they were cheap and quite grippy as long as the roads were dry.
Have Pirelli P-700s on my wife's Cinquentto ('sporting 1.1') and they are great in the dry but a lot less great in the wet, although still with progressive break away.
BY the way, going back to the 164, I run mine on standard 205/55 tyres. Have considered upgrading them but 'A' it corners so well anyway, especially if you aren't afraid to take it to the point of it starting to let go, that there seems little point and 'B' on full lock they rub on the inner arches so why make things worse - wouldn't want to be adding spaces and still taking it to V-max in Germany.

Hope some of this helps someone.

Happy motoring,

Richard :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you can be patient, try searching eBay. The last two sets of tires I've purchased have come off eBay - in both cases they were very low mileage take-offs that I got for about 25 cents on the dollar. Most recent purchase was a set of 17" Michelin Pilots for my Audi - still had the nubs on them - $280 delivered to my doorstep - same tire would have been over $1000 from Tire Rack.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Also Needing Tires for a 95 164Q

I just recently purchased a 1995 164Q. It currently has Michelin MXV4 tires, (195-70-15) that are not suitable for the car's performance. These tires squeal at cornining loads well below what I believe the car is capable of. I am looking for recommendations on possible changes, (including 16 or 17" wheel sizes) that would improve the handling. This is basically a summer daily driver, but with a performance side. I am looking for dry handling over everything else.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Tom, for your Q on stock Q/S rims, I would put on 205 60 15 or maybe 55, but 55 is a little low IMO.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have 205/55/16's on my S and I like them a lot. I have 195/60/15's on my L and those are perfect for what I use the L for. I drive them both agressive but the 60 series seem well suited to the touring nature of my L and the 55's for the sporting mode of my S.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts