Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
does anyone know where I can purchase polyurethane motor mounts for series 4?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
It was Don ('chassis stiffener') Ereminas who started supplying urethane mounts way back when!
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/378013-post5.html

Nowadays some suppliers have what they call "improved" mounts...these, I believe are just better rubber compound

Spruell of course does the reinforced type mounts
Reinforced Engine Mounts

I replaced mine on my S4 with new normal mounts (they were squarish, rather than round) a couple of years ago together with the tranny mount and they still look as new.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am going to try and find the polyurethane mounts, this is the second time in too short of a time in replacing them
Rande

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,667 Posts
I have the HD Alfaholics motor mounts in the gtv. I've been chasing a engine speed vibration since I put them in. It was only after a couple of years that the loose nut behind the wheel made the connection. In my defense I never drove the car without them. It's not a major vibration but I can imagine the poly mounts would be several orders of magnitude greater.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
there are some inferior rubber mounts out there (if one reads thru zillions of BB posts from the past!)....I read one post here where it had cyrillic writing on the box they came in.......if russian rubber is anything like the steel alfa bought from them back in the bad ol' days, then gawd help us!

I too have read that the heavy duty ones can cause vibration. One post here from Classic alfa themselves, also states that: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/826792-post14.html

Poly ones therefore have to be even stiffer.

I bought mine in Germany (OKP here in Munich, but the 'non-racing' type), and they look as new as the day I put them in some 2 years ago.

.........I can understand Rande's frustration, as the engine mount job is a right royal PITA on bosch spiders:(

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,667 Posts
It's not to bad, I can deal with it, not knowing was the problem. I never really had the stock ones wear out which makes me wonder if there is something else going on. Just a thought. The poly ones would seem to me be like bolting the motor directly to the body.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to everyone for the replies.
Rande

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don ('chassis stiffener') Ereminas no longer has the polyurethane mounts.
Rande

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Don ('chassis stiffener') Ereminas no longer has the polyurethane mounts.
Rande
I somehow suspected that, as otherwise there would be a LOT more posts on these, here on the BB.

Your 2 choices now, are the spruell sleeves or just finding decent quality mounts from a good supplier.

where did you buy the last 2 sets? and how many miles between changes?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
the last set were replaced by my alfa mechanic, who is extremely knowledgeable and has been very honest with me.

the speedo is not operating, as it is an automatic tranny and the sending unit is unique to this car and Ferrari, it is a $300 part. my mechanic Franco, has discouraged me from replacing the speedo sending unit, because he feels that even a new one is unreliable and there are no cross referenced parts available.

it has been about three years and maybe 25,000 miles.

Rande

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
the speedo is not operating, as it is an automatic tranny and the sending unit is unique to this car and Ferrari, it is a $300 part. my mechanic Franco, has discouraged me from replacing the speedo sending unit, because he feels that even a new one is unreliable and there are no cross referenced parts available
Fellow BB owner Anglospider came up with an alternative solution for the auto speedo sender:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/193640-alternative-speedo-sensor-s4.html

Edit: the ferrari sender that is supposed to be the same (Ferrari p/n 116987) is a little cheaper than 300 bucks nowadays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts