Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know an easy way to unbolt the propeller shaft from the rear of the engine, so I can pull it? My Chevy enthusiast friend seems to think that it sits in the splines(the splines on the shaft that are pressed into the bracket that bolts to the engine), and that we can convince them out by pulling the engine forward, even though the book clearly states that they need to be unbolted, and also why would there be bolts if it just sat in there? I'm sure the answer is no, but there can't be a trick or shortcut can there?

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can pull the engine by pulling the engine forward and releasing the splines. I bought one that had been pulled like that. They also lost that part of the drive shaft.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, will soak in penetrant and hope...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
On the Milanos it is pretty easy to remove the driveshaft by releasing the pinch bolt (through the bell housing), undo the driveshaft from the transmission, lower the front of the transmission to separate the driveshaft from the transmission and bolt the transmission (the 6 bolts on the X-member) back to the chassis, and then pull the driveshaft backwards, slightly downward and off the engine (splines). Now the Milano has the removable center X-member (4 bolts) which makes it all much easier - on the GTV6 it is not removable if I recall correctly. I haven't worked much on GTV6, but I have heard people say you need to split the driveshaft in the car to take it out.
Jes

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, you can't unbolt it, so I will have to convince it out. The hard part is getting around it to the bolts that hold the center bearing in. I'm sure they are fine when serviced regularly, but these have been rusted in for about a decade.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Pulling the drive/prop shaft

Jess is pretty much correct about the trans end of the project.
At the center, I was shown that using 1/4" drive socket and rachet gives enough clearance to get to the 2 center bearing nuts.
When all 3 "ends" are disconnected frm the car the 2 piece drive shaft can be pulled out the rear. It usualy takes a bunch of grunts and groans. Pull, clear a hangup, pull and rotate it some more, clear another hangup, etc, etc etc, untill the thing comes out as 1 piece.
I think the idea of pulling the motor off of the shaft is the best idea since the mass of the motor will help overcome any stuck parts.
Good luck,

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've always found that the hardest part is getting the bellhousing over the friggin' steering rack!

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts