Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. What points on the engine do you hook the hoist to? I found the one bracket that hooks between the 2 cylinder head bolts - is that the only one? I have a torsion bar that hooks to my hoist, but that needs 2 points of contact.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
OK... Are you pulling the engine and tranny together? Or just the engine? I the latter, then the center bracket you mention is what you want. Remember to dissconnec the brackets holding the front sway bar and let the bar fall down as you WILL need this room to let the engine move forward enough to clear the studs from the bellhousing area. Make sure all ground straps etc are removed too... Good luck. P.S. If you are doing the engine tranny combo, another set of rules apply....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peter. Actually, I should say I am putting the engine and transmission back in. I am doing them both together. When I removed the engine and trani, I put the chain around the head bolts, because the top end was off. Now I am putting them both in at the same time and I am not sure where I should hang it from.

Thanks!

Rob

·
Administrator
18,677 Posts
IIRC, I moved the 'engine lifting strap' one step forwards when I R/R'ed the combo. You will need to be able to tilt the unit at a fairly steep angle to get the transmission in. It also helps to jack up the rear of the car (then place it on sturdy jack stands). You may also want to remove the hood latch piece bolted to the firewall (mark its position first by tracing around it with a marker).

And, you will need to lower the center tie rod to give clearance for the bell housing to get in past the front crossmember. You can undo the steering idler from the right side (three bolts). That will lower the center tie rod without upsetting the front end alignment (toe).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Eric that is one pretty engine you have there... Looks better than showroom!
My wife is mystified when I see beauty in things like this, as I am of her finding beauty in a piece of jewelry... Oh well. It's the ying-yang of life right?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Great looking preparation... Why is it that I cant seem to get my car anywhere as clean? Did you get the block bead blasted? Or are you really that patient to do it by hand???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.