Alfa Romeo Forums banner

PSk's embarrassingly long restoration continues here ...

142K views 1K replies 76 participants last post by  1750GT 
#1 · (Edited)
Continuing from ...

So I've tacked in the repair piece behind the front wheel arch and extremely happy that pretty much the door and front guard marry together nicely and she looks lovely and straight.

Naturally I have some questions but first I'll show you where I'm at. Please ignore the door to front guard gap, this will be sorted later when I weld the repair patch in properly. It's just tacked in there at the moment to help me visualise the curvature of the door and how much more shrinking I need to do.

Happy Pete

Attachments

See less See more
#231 ·
So in between stuffing around with the garage door, I've bare metaled the 2 door skin candidates I have. The original door skin, the 3rd skin I have, is not worth touching and is inching closer to the rubbish bin.

Unfortunately one, that I intended to use the bottom half of, has rust deep in one spot near the bottom due to moisture under the insulation, so that plan has been binned. This one also must have had a leaky door hinge permitting water to get in and under the insulation as the rust under the door handle opening reminds me of AlfaSud type rust!

The other one, which came from a very sad door that was given to me when I sold my perfect Series I door, looked terrible but once I bare metaled it, it has problems yes, but the top ~2/3rds will be usable after a lot of shrinking, plus hammer and dolly work.

I will have to repair a few places around the top edges (one area will come from the other skin), the handle opening to the edge and of course make the lower ~1/3rd ... which heck, a common repair with these doors.

So plenty of work but only a few weekends ... just lots of patience, hammer and dolly work, shrinking and stretching.
Pete

#249 ·
And welded. No filler ... maybe a couple of thousand taps with the hammer and dolly!
Pete

Attachments

#250 ·
Your metalwork is precision and expert!! Keep going , the fun is in the process - for me, ( mech Resto not metalwork) the completion was a bit of a letdown— since I was done!!

Reactions: PSk
#255 ·
Nice job!

#256 ·
Adding the return to the skin so it can be folded over and on properly, and gapping. Welds need finishing but wife has returned home and we don't use the grinder when she's home ... as stupidly modern NZ houses have garages attached to the house. We looked for ages trying to find a house with a real shed that men that are still interested in doing things with their hands could use, but they no longer exist.

I guess modern men just play video games
Pete

Attachments

#257 ·
Next step is putting the skin on ...

After some shrinking and stretching, I'm very happy. And yes the door gaps will be made perfect.
Pete

Attachments