Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
At least 2 hours of going through my storage boxes and I have found the seal holding channels, and while there are a few that have rusted away to nearly nothing, I believe I have enough good pieces to make a full set for the left side :)

Of course, cutting and welding is required
Pete

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Investigating the condition of the 3 left doors I have (one is for a series 1) , so far I will use the bottom rear corner of the original doors frame, the bottom 2"s of the series 1 door and the rest will be my replacement series 2 door (which will need some minor repairs).

I think though that my replacement series 2 door has rust through the door skin panel, so that's coming off and the top half of the series 1 door skin (assuming I can clean up the surface rust, as paint removed years ago and before I got it). The bottom half of the skin might come from the replacement series 2 door or I will make it.

A jigsaw, and while I don't want to do more work than I have to, I will feel better removing the skin and being able to derust all the door frame properly.
Pete

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Excellent. My door hinges repair pins/bushes have arrived from Alfaholics. Perfect timing. Thank you Alfaholics

Pete

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
So de-skinned the replacement door and cut the bottom of the frame of the Series 1 door to use it as a part replacement ... unfortunately it's not up to scratch with lots of rust, so will need some love.

Also made up a full set of seal holding channels for the left side. Had just enough to cut and shut, ben and twist to get a complete set. Excellent

Pete

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Hey it's progress, any movement forward is progress !!

Have you considered rust removal via electrolysis ??Really easy & cheap, a large plastic bath to take the door skin and a battery charger - the internet is full of info on how to do this

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Hey it's progress, any movement forward is progress !!

Have you considered rust removal via electrolysis ??Really easy & cheap, a large plastic bath to take the door skin and a battery charger - the internet is full of info on how to do this

Ciao
Greig
Don't you still have to replace the rusted metal?

Btw I'm getting a quote from Alfaholics for the bottom of door frame repair piece. I think the freight cost will make it too expensive but lets see. Would save a heck of a lot of time.
Pete

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Yes you still have to replace the rusted metal, but if you have a panel with surface rust or a part with a folded joint and you can't get into the corners, electrolysis works a treat

Check out Classic Alfa for repair sections as well - these bits will save you heaps of time

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Pete
The repair part for bottom part of the doors, are fitting well, I think the part is the same from all the suppliers.
Expect some repair inside the door, but notting difficult to repair.
Bjarne

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Converting my replacement door frame to be correct for my car

Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I have, thanks to my father gifting the money to me as a birthday present, ordered the repair piece for the bottom of the door frame from AlfaHolics. Very pleased about this because I was having trouble motivating myself to have to make that part again. Yes it is always easier the second time, and yes I have ideas on how to make it easier/quicker ...

Amazingly AlfaHolics are still open as I emailed them to check. Hopefully this order will make it's way here soon, but I also hope the staff at AlfaHolics are looking after themselves ... scary times.
Pete

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
So surrounding the hinge are of the door was not beautiful, and I could see some rust in the strengthening for the hinges ... so a ~hundred spot welds were drilled out to reveal the true ugliness ...

Hmmm ...
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Nice work there Pete. My welding has been described as the leavings of a 'metal bird'.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Slowly replacing rust. Note there is a lot of extra steel here to hold things in the right place.

Fiddly, yep ...
Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
Top hinge support nearly finished, and the bottom door frame repair section has arrived from AlfaHolics. Thank you and quality piece.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
It looks good Pete, when I discovered the same rust in my door same door type, I dismissed the idea of it being repairable, but now with the bottom section available I would tackle it and the area you just repaired. Makes you wonder how they got the components accurately positioned at the factory, I know they used jigs but even so there are a lot of corners and curves. Alfa doors without rust, near unobtainable now where as other cars of a similar vintage such as early Holden and Ford easy and cheap in Australia.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Yes that bottom door frame repair section makes a big difference, but I did the other side without this repair section ... although I'm still mentally recovering.

The door frame where the hinge areas go needs lots of work too ... so that will be fun.

Yeah, jigs would have been used, and this is why I have been welding so many pieces of metal to hold the shape correct. Note the drill and machined bolt so I can put this piece back in the right place.
Pete

161 - 180 of 181 Posts