Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
kengta

Lathe bench getting closer ...
Pete
Hey Pete. Maybe I missed it but what make of lathe is that. Lopk a lot like my 1933 Atlas.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Not sure, but yes we think its an Atlas or copy

Pete

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
This is so much better than my rotisserie. Solid and stable as 🙂
Pete
Can you easily flip this around so you can roll it the other way?
Yes, the floor members unbolt from the beam that attaches to the shell and can be rebolted on the other side. And the shell can be positioned at 45 degrees instead of 90.

Pete

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, the floor members unbolt from the beam that attaches to the shell and can be rebolted on the other side. And the shell can be positioned at 45 degrees instead of 90.

Pete
Interesting. I will be building one in the next couple of weeks and I am open to ideas.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
FYI - I'm fairly sure my lathe is an Atlas 10" Model D, made from 1936 to 1957!: Atlas lathes

Pete

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
I've inherited some of my fathers tools, and his toolbox (my toolbox was actually a better brand, but not Dad's and didn't have the rolling bottom half).

Anyway here is the draw of his Stahlwille set he bought when he was a 17 year old green appendice, 66 years ago. Yes there are some odd and sods too, as things were lost and replaced. I have little use for most of them, as not metric, but they won't be going anywhere:
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
First 2 turnings, for me, from my old lathe. I made a temporary tool post out of many pieces of 5mm plate, but when I get serious I'll make one out of a solid machined block.

Also I need to reshim the feed slide (correct term?) as there is play in the rear slide. This and my trmporaey tool post likely explains the slightly rough turning finish ... but its not that bad for manual feed and just mild steel.
Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
I too have some of my Dad's tools and they are among my most cherished possessions. He got me a set of Craftsman tools and a small toolbox for my birthday soon after I got my first Alfa. The toolbox is old and battered but by golly it's way more than just a toolbox.
You are going to love your lathe. It's down right amazing how many times mine has come to the rescue!

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Yep, but I've instructed myself to stop playing with it and get back on the 1750! I've also got my very first toolbox back, that I used to take to the track. I'm going to give that to my son, as it a good one to take places ...

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
LOL

You’re stuck in the same rut that I am. Other activities beckon, at the moment. I’ll get back to my Alfas, if you get back to yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 136 Posts