Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love your work, Pete, and am learning a lot from you. I've finished this thread and will start on your prior one shortly.

Stephen.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Next time I do serious bodywork, I'm following your lead.
On axle stands in the front yard....not again.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Next time I do serious bodywork, I'm following your lead.
On axle stands in the front yard....not again.
I'm hardly the first, but I really wish I had made this first instead of the rotisserie that I previously made (which was a poor design and wobbled, and I was never fully confident about). A shell tipper is so much simpler and easier to make. I am going to add bolt on floor out riggers (for want of a better name) to stabilise it (so there are definitely no accidental tipping!) but also to be able to bolt wheels on to aid relocation in the shed. The out rigger pieces will bolt on in the 3 different angles the shell can be; normal, 45 degree and 90 degree. Once in the right place the wheels will pop off. The wheels will just lift it like 5mm's so easy to get on and off .. haven't worked that bit out yet :D

Pete

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Tipper nearly finished. Just needs the safety out riggers

Pete

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Hope you get this finished before you die, lol. If I wasn't married, it is possible I might have gone this route myself, restoring a Sprint GT.

For years, I kept having this dream where I had one in the process, being repainted, still in the shop, but that I had forgotten about it, being a years long drawn out process. And then realizing that, oh my god, I still have this car in a shop somewhere, I've got to find it if I can.

It was always sort of like the actual and disturbing dream many people have about suddenly realizing that there had been a college class they should have been attending. Had forgotten all about it, and they find out the final is the next day.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hmmm ... a bit of seam welding, finish the welding on the bottom of the drivers side guards, and then some work around the top half of the rear window frame, and we are done. Until we flip the car the other way up ...

One just has to keep doing at least something on her and she will get completed.
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Next time we visit NZ and Tauranga, I want to see it finished.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Naturally I've been studying the work my younger self did on the floor, etc. and I can thankfully say it looks great. Welds are good and joins are nice and tight.

Really just needs some seam welds around the front cross member, as insurance, and paint prep.

Will soon be working on the other side!
Pete

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Inner floor panel tunnel seam seam welded. Spot welds added to bottom of sill/rocker panel ... and car spun around to do some rust removal on the top half of the rear window frame.
Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Oh, I sure want to see this gem completed someday.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Rear window. Doing this slowly in small pieces so the shape is not lost. Not welding to inner frame yet as probably need to replace the last inch of that as well.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Interesting technique. I have a need to reform the windshield lip on the '73 Berlina. This might be the way to do it.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Interesting technique. I have a need to reform the windshield lip on the '73 Berlina. This might be the way to do it.
I think this is a safe way, if tedious. I could make a full length piece but I would need to make some sort of brace system to ensure the roof did not move ... maybe?

So by doing it in small pieces I am using the still supported metal around the window frame to keep it in the right place, plus the inner panel (which admittedly does little until spot welded to the outer). I will probably go for bigger pieces but no more than 3 inches long, I think.

My father, and others, think I should just spray Rustroy (good product for neutralising rust IMO) on the inside but I'm here and do not want to do repair rust (on this car) again.
Pete

81 - 100 of 134 Posts