Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Snuck out in to the shed for a few minutes work. End result after putting the door on and taking it off again I think 4 times: I'm happy with the front of the door "door gap":

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
Get to work. Want to see that one out on the road, looking really pretty. What color will it be?

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yellow ocher, unless my wife threatens a divorce ... lol. She wants it to be red but originally it was yellow ocher.

Pete

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
NZ requires cert for rust repairs too.

Unfortunately quite a few years ago there was a very bad accident and the car just fell apart due to sub standard repairs. Since then NZ has been very particular about vehicle body work repairs.

If I had maintained the cars registration, instead of letting it lapse, I believe I would not have had to do this but I did AND bringing her back into NZ required an inspection and the inspector stuck a sticker on her saying RUST needing repair, etc.
Pete
Wow, I thought California was restrictive!! I get the sentiment behind it but my wannabe cowboy spirit chafes at the thought...

Absolutely lovely work, BTW!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your work is impressive! I'm not a body guy (I can mig rust panels, but that's about it) but I have worked with a few, on many Alfas. One thing that I have learned (you may know this), before you begin to apply final paint, install all weather stripping and check for panel fit. Much easier to correct before final paint!

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Don't feel bad it took me 17 years to get my Spider on the road. Cool ALFA sign!

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Your work is impressive! I'm not a body guy (I can mig rust panels, but that's about it) but I have worked with a few, on many Alfas. One thing that I have learned (you may know this), before you begin to apply final paint, install all weather stripping and check for panel fit. Much easier to correct before final paint!
Yes a trial assembly is a must and will happen.
Pete

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Bottom of door gapped. This side is done, until final paint prep, straightening, etc. On to the other side.

Yes I think it looks beaut with even door gaps! :)
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
You're getting there Pete! What metal work is left to do?
[EDIT, adjusted to be more positive :)]Just the left door, rear of front guard and correction of bottom front of rear guard (I stuffed this up when much younger).

The front, rear and drivers side are now all completed, metal work wise. Getting closer :) :)
Pete

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Okay I miss-spoke, I've found some more rust to remove on the drivers side :(

First one removed, and some other spots I've found:
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Does that need to be cut out or just touched up?

Thanks for the updates (and hope you are doing well).

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Cut out IMO. Maybe you could stop it with some Rustroy, or similar, but I'm here and it will be removed.

What I dont want is to finish her and then after 2 years off fun driving, a rust bubble appears 😮. Hate rust 🙂

Pete

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Btw, just bought an old single phase Lathe 🙂

Pete

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Every little bit counts!

Are you taking orders for custom fabrication with your new lathe yet?

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Every little bit counts!

Are you taking orders for custom fabrication with your new lathe yet?
Not yet, lol. While take a bit of TLC before it will turn again, but got it cheap 🙂
Pete

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Got my lathe today and in better condition than I expected. It can fit a 5" radiused item 👍

If the electric motor works, I think I could be turning things very soon ... but I think it would be wise to check a few things, and my priority is to build the shell tipper.

Returning to the lathe, some of the auto feed gears have been broken, so my first bit of machining might be making new gears 🙂 ... but maybe I should wait until I need that function to operate ... focus is to finish 1750's shell asap!
Pete

61 - 80 of 134 Posts