Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've worked out what tool I need to purchase to properly squish the folded over panels ... a bolt cutter.

I'll modify it but it surely will have the strength as long as I keep the surface area being squished small. The other side needs to be big and flat so as not to mark the panel.

Now just got to find one ...
Pete

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Let's try a direct photo post from my phone ...

The primer is wet in the last photo
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Gee those photos are in your face ... I'll not do that again :)

Sorry
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Look fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nothing wrong with the pics can see great detail. Looks really good Pete.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Another photo, primer dry this time.

Was an exhausting process as I had to keep pushing that panel out with a crow bar to keep it flat. Might have to hire gas welding bottles for the top half of the welding, but glad to be past the sharp corner.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
More progress ... last photo is with wet primer ...

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
And ... no filler yet ... as the certification engineer has to inspect the shell in the metal before any paint preparation

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi Pete just wondering about certification process where you are. A resto like your doing doesn't require cert here unless there is structural changes.
I have to get engineering and a blue plate for my hot rod but not the resto on the Berlina I'm doing. Thanks John

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi Pete just wondering about certification process where you are. A resto like your doing doesn't require cert here unless there is structural changes.
I have to get engineering and a blue plate for my hot rod but not the resto on the Berlina I'm doing. Thanks John
NZ requires cert for rust repairs too.

Unfortunately quite a few years ago there was a very bad accident and the car just fell apart due to sub standard repairs. Since then NZ has been very particular about vehicle body work repairs.

If I had maintained the cars registration, instead of letting it lapse, I believe I would not have had to do this but I did AND bringing her back into NZ required an inspection and the inspector stuck a sticker on her saying RUST needing repair, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
722 Posts
NZ requires cert for rust repairs too.

Unfortunately quite a few years ago there was a very bad accident and the car just fell apart due to sub standard repairs. Since then NZ has been very particular about vehicle body work repairs.

If I had maintained the cars registration, instead of letting it lapse, I believe I would not have had to do this but I did AND bringing her back into NZ required an inspection and the inspector stuck a sticker on her saying RUST needing repair, etc.
Pete
Thanks Pete the rust inspection is probably a good idea keeping the roads safer and stopping bodges.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Great work Pete - your 99% perspiration is paying dividends.
Perspiration!. Yes there is some truth in your comment. After finishing that weld and working the metal to where I wanted it, I was exhausted, and later when in bed I realised my ab muscles were sore. Yes it was levering the panel out after short welds that caused that. I think it was worth the pain :)

Made my wife come and have a look ... not impressed at all :surprise:. I tried to explain how hard it is to weld such a panel and for it to end up so straight, but I could tell I was not gaining any "husband is a clever dude" points ... lol :D
Pete

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
So I made a panel crimper to improve the folding over of the rear of the front guard. Took a few hours and a few cut off discs but does a much better job than poly grips.

There's a double leverage process going on, and works as good as I hoped :)

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It looks more like an medieval torture device! ;)
Yes it is not beautiful ... made out of scrap but it works. Might try increasing the stroke so it attempts to clamp even tighter, but glad that it works ... and something I can easily use.

Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Pete
You have been an inspiration to me, to continue with my Bertone. (1972 2ltr)

I finished the floors, the window recesses and the L/H side and then ran out of steam. I just picked up my tools after 4 years and have restarted where you are now. The the original Project started in 2005 when I a bought an abandoned project

I am I correct - I have noticed a shrinking disk in one of your photos. Whats your opinion on this tool
Keep it Up
Johann

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I am I correct - I have noticed a shrinking disk in one of your photos. Whats your opinion on this tool
Keep it Up
Johann
You are correct, and yes it does work and is considerably easier to use than a gas welding torch. I have though ended up stretching instead of shrinking my door skin in one small area because (as usual) I was impatient and pushed too much weight into the skin. No worries I will pull that out, and was a case of confusion in my control department ;).

So yeah, glad I now have it. Use it a lot, but as with many things, you must be thinking straight first :) ... very clever and most importantly only the high areas get heated, unlike with a gas welding torch.
Pete

41 - 60 of 136 Posts