Alfa Romeo Forums banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Still checking for pin holes right.....(y)
Yes, and found some the other day

Can you see some that I've missed?
Pete

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
If I can master leading this area will have a very thin skim

Pete

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Yes I've been doing that. I found one a couple of days ago that was invisible on the outside, but it was there!

Don't worry my daughter bought me these magnifying glasses, with their own lights, that I wear when in inspection mode. They are fantastic and help me see all the details I once was, possibly, able to
Pete

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
That area finished and I turned the garage into a dust cloud mess as I removed all the bog from the roof.

The bog was 3.5mm thick in some places. It appears to have been applied because there are a couple of dents in the roof and I guess cheaper to bog the roof than to remove the hood lining and fix it properly.

Why there are dents on the roof we do not know. One of them looks like somebody punched the roof, the one in the middle of the roof ... who knows, did somebody stand on the roof as an act of vandalism or were they partying too hard?????

Anyway, I can absolutely say, hand on my heart, that there is no bog on my GTV at all now.

Time to create a to-do list as only minor things to do now before the metal work is complete
Pete

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Mine had a tree fall on it, perhaps yours suffered the same fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
One of my best friends had a bozo throw a fire hydrant cover (the Australian type) onto the roof of his pristine M5 one night. Wrote the car off, needed a complete new shell. Which it got but OT and another story. Great to hear you see the end in sight now for the body work (y)

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Heck, poor M5

Yes had not thought of a tree related issue
Pete

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
So last evening I needed to clean the 156v6 so had that out of the garage and while walking back to and from the sink with my bucket of soapy water, could not but help to notice that I really have finally got the GTV lines right! :)

What I haven't said here is that I redid the drivers side sill area (front of rear guard) just in front of the rear wheel after learning how it should really look when doing the passenger side. Minor thing but now no matter what angle you look at this area is just looks right and makes sense. I'm trying hard to not redo things anymore, but I don't think I need to now also.

I need to post more photos here so you can see what I mean :)
Pete

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Great work.....and patience.
I bought myself a tig welder for these jobs....just need to learn how to tig weld! 😀
I think if I had a TIG welder I would spend all my free time welding, but yes I am sure I could have done many things better if I had one ... next project :)

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
I'm looking at Tig welders right now. I'm torn between the Tig and my current gas setup. What I have doesn't cost any $$. But, the Tig appears to have less of a haz area, and still provides a soft weld.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think trickier than gas welding. Will take me quite a bit of practice to get competent.

the thought of not having to grind all those hard mig welds. Joy

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have MIG and TIG and tbh the MIG is the more useful of the two on car repairs. Problem with TIG is it needs better prep than MIG which is a pain on a rust bucket. It ties both hands , uses lots of shield gas, slower, harder to bridge gaps, much harder to set up the welder, sets are complicated and delicate kit. I also find it creates more heat distortion on flat sheet work, maybe thats just me.
Upside is it can make stronger and prettier welds if your good and is great for special metals like Ali etc. Also very controllable.
I still use it but only for when I cant use the MIG (or its critical for strength) despite the grinding.
I actually preferred gas welding above MIG and TIG but the bottles etc meant I gave it up 30 yrs ago. However if I wasnt restoring cars I would just have just a TIG as its the all rounder

·
Registered
563 Posts
yeah - I just fancy the tig for exterior panel butting jobs. Probably won’t use it on this car, but the next project

·
Registered
563 Posts
Those door gaps are mighty fine! Some of the best I’ve seen anywhere

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Thank you. I have played on my lathe and made a stepped shaft that is my gap setter. Still to double check the bottom of the doors, but everywhere else has been set by this tool.

We bought a propane torch and shrunk the roof in 3 places and dents sorted (a couple required pulling out as I could not get to the other side), and now much flatter and no more popping. Not worth doing any more hammer and dolly work until doing guide coats
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Pete, that looks outstanding. Can you take a picture of your gap tool?

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Not really a tool, but a gap gauge. In the end it is OCD, 6" grinder, air grinder and my MIG that has got the gaps like that

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: horsewidower
301 - 320 of 320 Posts