Alfa Romeo Forums banner

261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
As I could not get hold of any dynamat to put the door skin on, we worked on other areas.

Dremel died so welds in boot opening channel unfinished ...

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Dynamat was put on last evening, skin going on today
Pete

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Door skin on. A very stressful process; glue drying; glue applier failed which is a bummer because it is 2 products that have to be mixed; hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer ... hammer; worry, worry and more worrying

Now leaving it alone for the glue to set
Pete

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pete. FWIW when i fit skins I dont bond them. I fold the returns as normal then once the door is torsionally twisted correctly (as the skin slides on the flanges) I put three or four tack welds skin to door. Then I seal the joint with polyurethane sealant inside and out. PU is over paintable and works better than the edge sealer in my opinion. Nigel

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Interesting Nigel, oh well done now and no more doors to do :)

Pete

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Rear of front guard ... but not much actually

Pete

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #269 (Edited)
Door fits and closes perfectly after skin put on, and rear of door gapped.

And yes I know the front of the rear guard is not quite right, I will fix that soon as I learn how it should be

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Looking good. I've been through one of these door skin recreation / replacement processes. Takes a lot of patience and stretches the amateur panel making skills but satisfying when things come together.

·
Registered
563 Posts
that is looking a really nice sharp job on the doors!

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Its funny working on these shells. Every now and then you complete an area and the beauty of the shape just sings out. How ever do those clever people design such things? ... such a simple shape, and so elegant. 1/8th of the lines of modern wannabe cars

Pete

Reactions: Aggie57

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes a lot of today’s cars try far too hard....they start looking .like bashed up dustbins 😀

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
So started fixing the front of the rear guard now I know the door curve. Finishing work required but I think the shape is finally right ... yay

Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
A better photo, showing the consistent curve

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: Scalino1300

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nicely done. Arguably the single most important line to get right on these cars. It pays dividends to spend the time and get it perfect. Presuming you have the rubber door seals in place?

261 - 280 of 320 Posts