Alfa Romeo Forums banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Administrator
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
After I think nearly 10 trial fits, and removing, massaging, refitting the door seal holding channels, and the dreaded door seal, and modifications to the door frame, I am happy with the door fit. Still lots of welding on the door frame to go, but here she is fully closed with the door seal installed. Yes the bottom rear corner of the door frame is sticking out by 4mms (only), once the door skin is on the door will be more rigid so don't expect this to be an issue.

Btw the last modification I made to the door frame was to take a mere 1mm out of it. Went from "nah that's not right, way too much force required, to being that feels good"
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Pete you have done a good job on rebuilding the doors, the real satisfaction will come when you have the skins back on and gapped to spec.
Tim

·
Registered
518 Posts
Brilliant work.
I got about 90% there on door fit ...and moved onto something else, to go back to them later. It’s a hell of a job getting it 100%

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pete you do very thorough and professional looking work.Some jig that you made. Im intrigued as to the reason for doing all this work on the doors are they unavailable new ? I once did doors but try to avoid if I can.

·
Administrator
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Correct, not possible to purchase new doors ... as far as I know, and if they were available they would be like $2000 each
Pete

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought better replacement doors than the ones on my car. I collected them whilst travelling in Holland and paid around 600 euros, but then still had to do repairs. I knew the skins were full of filler but frames were pretty good (or so I thought until I stripped them 😀). I notice doors in similar condition now fetch way more.

·
Administrator
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
This door I am working on was a replacement door I bought ... oops, obviously I need my eyes checked!

Many years (32 years) ago I bought replacement doors and they were rust free, but they were for Series I ... but perfect. If only I had known about Series I and II back then
Pete

·
Administrator
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
So in between stuffing around with the garage door, I've bare metaled the 2 door skin candidates I have. The original door skin, the 3rd skin I have, is not worth touching and is inching closer to the rubbish bin.

Unfortunately one, that I intended to use the bottom half of, has rust deep in one spot near the bottom due to moisture under the insulation, so that plan has been binned. This one also must have had a leaky door hinge permitting water to get in and under the insulation as the rust under the door handle opening reminds me of AlfaSud type rust!

The other one, which came from a very sad door that was given to me when I sold my perfect Series I door, looked terrible but once I bare metaled it, it has problems yes, but the top ~2/3rds will be usable after a lot of shrinking, plus hammer and dolly work.

I will have to repair a few places around the top edges (one area will come from the other skin), the handle opening to the edge and of course make the lower ~1/3rd ... which heck, a common repair with these doors.

So plenty of work but only a few weekends ... just lots of patience, hammer and dolly work, shrinking and stretching.
Pete

221 - 231 of 231 Posts