Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Nearly a disaster in the shed today!

Started hosing down and the 156v6 was outside. It was so heavy I thought maybe hail was on it's way. My time in Sydney has made me fearful of hail, so I waited for a less windy and rainy time (otherwise the GTV would get wet) ... quickly opened the shed door and jumped into the 156 and backed it into the shed

Stopped. Got out and she was crooked and if not actually up against the left front guard of the GTV within 1mm, and I had only just missed the vice handle ... heck, phew

This happened because I had windscreen shade things both ends to protect the leather seats, and didnt remove them as I wanted to close the shed door asap

Should have just left her outside ...
Pete

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Many years ago I made a jig for repairing doors, and I spent extra time making it work for the passenger door even though at the time I was working on the drivers door. All this work is now paying dividends, and here is the repair piece sitting in this jig and most importantly lining up nicely :). I will use this to trim the door frame and the repair piece until they marry perfectly and then it's weld time! I was going to tack it all together and trial assemble but the jig is giving me confidence ... maybe

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I remember seeing the jig.
All those hours pay off....even if it it seems a long unnecessary journey at the time ?

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
End fitted. The little spots of weld are minor surface pitting, on the inside of the door frame that I have cleaned and then hit with the MIG welded. Still lots of cleanup to do ...
Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Dad, visited, and we worked hard all Saturday and hinge reinforcement area now welded in, after adding the louvers, holes in all the correct places.

Note the louvers on top of the inner door frame front, sorry but I think Alfa Romeo made another mistake here and these louvers are why the hinge area of 105 series Coupe doors rust. It would have been better for the water to sit on the properly painted inner door frame than to fall inside the door and sit on unpainted, or hardly painted, door hinge bracing. I made them because I doing 100% original but I recommend that they are NOT reproduced if you don't care about originality.

Only got the bottom repair piece to install now, after the necessary many trial fits to get the seal fit right
Pete

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes can’t for the life of me understand why those louvred are there. Sort of an afterthought solution to a non-problem.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nicely executed jig indeed. As for those louvers.....there must have been some past experience or knowledge that made them want to add those in. I'm thinking that quite possibly they did not want a whole lot of water (in the event of a heavy downpour) draining down into the space between A pillar and door frame .....maybe the door seals at the lower front corner do not seal well?

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
If louvers were the go, then the top of the hinge support brackets should have been angled to promote water run off.

It's a little bit Boeing, i.e. the louver designer didn't tell the hinge designer what they were doing :)

Anyway I'll do my best to get some sort of paint in there.

Soon 1750GT I'll be using play-doh again to get the correct measurements around the door frame for the door seal. Thanks again
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"It's a little bit Boeing, i.e. the louver designer didn't tell the hinge designer what they were doing :)"

All too true, but certainly not limited to the Big B, lol. Comes with every company, just because the work is being done by humans.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
Some photos (Note the welds near the top hinge holes are because I put the holes in the wrong place, and I thought "well heck might as well use them for something"):
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bloody good stuff!
They will be better than they ever were for the factory!

A little note/tip if you dont mind. For plug welds, I have started to turn my welder up a heat (power) setting* from my regular setting, and leaving wire feed set the same. I found I now get flatter plugs with more penetration, and little/no dressing needed afterwards.
I start in middle of the plug trying to hit the underside steel and don’t move torch much if at all, then maybe stop for 1-2secs, then restart and then go round the edges to fill in the puddle. It gets the weld area really hot and flat. Something I wish I knew at the start of the resto, but only just cracked it. Would have saved a lot of time (and disks) had i known sooner!
Obviously it puts more heat in which is what you may be concerned about....in which case ignore me 😀

* every welder is different but I normally butt weld panels on power setting 2 (of 6) wire feed 6 (of 10).
For plug (and other) welds I turn power up to 3.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Thanks.

I always have my welder on a setting higher than I probably need. I prefer to blow a hole than to be worried that the weld didn't er, weld. This means sometimes I have to chase a hole ... lol. But absolutely always learning, I'll turn it up even more :). I'm not going to grind these welds, will be hidden behind trim anyway

These plugs were made a little more interesting because I was lazy when I drilled out the spot welds and drilled right through, with a smaller drill bit, so I was filling a hole on both sides
Pete

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Bigmart, tried what you said and yes makes similar visually to a spot weld. Thanks. I've read this before but don't know why I've never done it ... old age?

Anyway, more progress ...
Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Trial fitting. Modeling clay has been bought to measure the gaps around the door frame, so I can alter them if required.
Pete

Attachments

201 - 220 of 221 Posts