Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im almost done replacing the hood release assembly as mine had broken allowing the fusebox to dangle and vibrate.

Someone on here mentioned that the actual hood release cable is heat treated steel and i believe it. When i went to unbend the wire from the latch it just snapped off.

And of course the backup nylon pull was broken.

I fished a piece of bicycle wire cable in there for a backup wire, but i also realized that Alfa probably used plastic because the end if it will be very close to the back of the fuse box. So if you do replace the plastic wire with metal like i did keep it away from the fuses. I think i will leave the sheath on the wire, at least inside the cabin.

Overall not a bad job, i just need to attach the backup cable.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
66 Posts
Definitely keep a good backup. My car came with a broken main cable and my mechanic stressed I needed to deal with replacing that cable before all else. Lose them both and your gonna trash your tea tray trying to get the hood open.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also made a backup out of stainless braided wire, with ferrules crimped on the ends to make a loop. It follows the original backup cable. I remember the day when the main hood cable broke, I asked my Dad how we would get the hood open. He laughed and said Alfa supplied an emergency pull cable behind the fuse panel. Sure enough it was there and after a quick prayer, I pulled it and it worked.

·
Premium Member
16,700 Posts
Some of us have installed such an emergency cable for the 164 hoods as well. Just in case. Thanks to "roadtrip", IIRC. Wish he was back on the BB, but for some reason, he bailed. He had supplied 164 owners with some good info and ideas.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Super solid advice. I did that as the VERY first piece of work on my GTV6 when i got her over a decade ago...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts