Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel pump on our Lemons Milano died from sitting the past few years. So I replaced it and the hoses near it. The return hose up above the transaxle that is a PITA to get to was so old and brittle I could just rip it with my bare hands.

The extra crispy GTV6 below is what happens when a fuel line in the engine bay splits. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but that GTV6 is not going back on the road.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Learned about the quality of 80s Alfa fuel lines back in 89. Car was 5 years old and the original delivery lines under the car were so dry rotten that they would crack open and leak intermittently while the car was driven. I have made it a priority to replace ALL lines on each Alfa after that.

The GTV6 doesn't look that bad. I'm sure that the fire has damaged some unusual stuff (crank seal?) but if it was a running, non rusty car, I wouldn't give up on it so quickly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with Mark_toro's comment. It doesn't look too bad. Busso V6's are plentiful, body shells - not so much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve had the lines going up to the engine against the firewall catch fire in my gtv6. I’m lucky I stopped and checked when I did or my car might not be here today. The lines have been replaced of course but I’m lucky I always carry a fire extinguisher.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
When I was trying to wake mine up after an 8 year sleep, I couldn't get it to start. Which was a great thing because I noticed that the line next to firewall was spraying fuel on the exhaust manifold.

The previous owner had used non-fuel injection hose in a number of places.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Thanks for posting. One of the first things I do for any old car that has been sitting for a long time is go through the entire fuel system, and replace all fuel hoses from front to back. Don't forget the short hoses at the injectors in the GTV6!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts