Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My power steering was making odd noises yesterday, so I checked the fluid level. Sure enough, it was low - added fluid (*) and the noise went away. So that solves the big problem.

But, I noticed that while the cap to my reservoir has a bung for a hose, there is no hose connected, or lying around. The illustration from my owners manual (reproduced below) shows this hose. What does it do? Is it simply an overflow if your reservoir is too full? If I do need it, where does the other end connect?

*) Some searching on the BB indicated that the correct fluid to add is "Dextron III". The guy at the autoparts store told me this is automatic transmission fluid, but that older cars did use it in their power steering systems. The existing fluid in my reservoir was quite red - and so is the Dextron III that I bought. Did I use the right stuff?

Attachments

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Yes, that is correct fluid and overflow vent house not really needed.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Sometimes when they fall off the hose and nipple fall down behind the bottle. Look for it with a flashlight.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Or even partly under the bottle. It can be very difficult to retrieve. Given that the fluid reservoir is almost always a bit low there is no real reason to have this fitted. As you know, power steering fluid gets hot and expands quite a bit when hot. However, on a 164 it is unlikely to overflow!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I recently noticed by just checking things around the engine bay that my hose was disconnected as well. There was no difference when in or out but it was bit difficult to reach behind the bottle to grab the hose.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Jay. The Milano calls for Dextron also. The 164 reservoir overflow tube is likely there because of the tank's location. When the pump pulley seal begins to fail, air will be drawn into the system causing the fluid to overflow the tank - a potentially huge cleanup task on the 164.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts