Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to tackling my 74 GTV project. The car was mechanically solid but needed help with cosmetics. Here are some pictures of the finished product.

I added Centerline springs and 14x7 Cromadora Daytona replicas with 195/60-14 Falken Azenis tires to give it a more agressive look.

Look out for this car at So Cal car shows and driving events.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I like the color Anthony!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,665 Posts
Nice, very crisp and clean, great!
those Centerline rear spings are really low, had them on my spider and it looked even lower.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
That's the Color of my 82 Spider. My daughters call me " Ken " now!! I like it!
Nice Rims!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It looks like a very clean car Anthony. What offset are those cromodora replicas? I once had a set of 7x14 Mille Miglia's fitted to my GTV and they could not clear the stock fender arches (neither front nor rear) without scrubbing....I ended up having to sell them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice Anthony - WE have good taste in cars. My 74' prugna GTV will have it's coming out party this Saturday at Irvine Cars and Coffee. Cosmetics are good and mechanicals are now top notch. I still need to tackle suspension and wheels, but for now, I'm just happy to be able to reliably drive it around town.

DaveG

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like a very clean car Anthony. What offset are those cromodora replicas? I once had a set of 7x14 Mille Miglia's fitted to my GTV and they could not clear the stock fender arches (neither front nor rear) without scrubbing....I ended up having to sell them.
Not quite sure what the offest is, but they do clear with no issues even with two people in the car and a full tank of gas.

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
Very nice Anthony - WE have good taste in cars. My 74' prugna GTV will have it's coming out party this Saturday at Irvine Cars and Coffee. Cosmetics are good and mechanicals are now top notch. I still need to tackle suspension and wheels, but for now, I'm just happy to be able to reliably drive it around town.
Dave:

I was one of the Alfisti that met you this morning in Irvine. You need to post some photos of your GTV on the BB, as well as bring it to more events. Checkout http://arosc.org/info/2011/club_calendar_11.html and http://arocsd.org/ for dates & locations of LA, OC, and SD County Alfa events. The Alfa corral at the Coronado Historics Sept. 24-25, and Best of France and Italy on November 6 are two that come to mind.

For those who haven't seen Dave's car, it's really exceptional - has some custom touches like deleting the overriders, deleting the side lights, black interior with red stitching, and nice attention to detail.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice to meet you and Norm yesterday Jay. Here's a link to the original ad for my car, pics included;

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/181878-1974-alfa-romeo-2000-gtv.html

While there is no red stitching on the interior, the car is otherwise as I bought it - if you don't include the $5K I paid Stewart and Jr. to get the mechanicals in order. Nothing is ever as it seems...

The personalization has started as I removed the wipers today. Let the games begin.

One serious question. I drove home on the interstate for the first time yesterday. RPM's were around 4100 at roughly 65 - 70mph in 5th gear. I found myself instinctively grabbing the shift knob in anticipation shifting up to 6th. Which of course isn't possible. Should the RPM's be this high for the speed?

Dave

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
One serious question. I drove home on the interstate for the first time yesterday. RPM's were around 4100 at roughly 65 - 70mph in 5th gear. I found myself instinctively grabbing the shift knob in anticipation shifting up to 6th. Which of course isn't possible. Should the RPM's be this high for the speed?
Yup. Welcome to the world of 4.56 differential ratios. Alfa engines operate at high rpms - they're happy at 4,100 rpm. However, on a long freeway trip, it can drive you nuts. Late Alfa spiders had a 4.1 ratio, which results in lower freeway rpms. Stewart could do the swap - it's a bolt-in - but acceleration at lower speeds will suffer.

I could have sworn I saw red stitching. Well, I had to look at so many cars on Saturday - tough work, but somebody's gotta do it!

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
4100 rpm at 65-70 mph seems to high even for a 4.56. I think a 4.56 will give you almost 20mph/1000rpm, so 4000 should be almost 80mph. A 4.10 gives about 22mph/1000, 4000 = 88. This is on stock dia tires and .79 fifth gear.
3.73=24.2, 4.10=22.0, 4.30=21.0, 4.56=19.8, 4.78=18.9, 5.13=17.6MPH/1000RPM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My tires are undersize, so that could be part of the discrepency.

Also, the speedo doesn't move past about 55, so I was estimating my speed. Although I'm sure I wasn't doing 80mph, officer.

DaveG

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
The speedo should indicate those speeds at that rpm regardless of what tire size you have.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Your actual speed will be slower with small dia. tires but your indicated speed will match up correctly with the tach the way Alfa intended. The speedo has no idea you changed to smaller tires. If you changed to tires 10% smaller in dia you will be driving 10% slower than indicated on speedo assuming it was accurate in the first place.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Your actual speed will be slower with small dia. tires but your indicated speed will match up correctly with the tach the way Alfa intended. The speedo has no idea you changed to smaller tires. If you changed to tires 10% smaller in dia you will be driving 10% slower than indicated on speedo assuming it was accurate in the first place.
Correct, same answer, just a different way of explaining it... ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think Brad's correct. It's 'indicated' speed, not necessarily the real speed that the car is doing, because it's measuring it at the gearbox.

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts