Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
dumping my h4's for duel projection headlights.. not pretty at this moment, but they do fit under the trim ring.. when done you will only see the headlight..yes, i know that the 4 long screws are pointing forward, this was the last stage in getting the front part centred on the projection lams, they will be turned aroung for mounting.. as for adjustment, easy stuff.. the outter black abs mounts to the body, the inner abs hold the prjection lamps and adjustment for the beam of light.. low beam on top, high on the bottom, but i will wire it so when the high beam is on, the low beam will be on also.. at low setting, just the low beam will be on..and the lights will be fulling covered, front and rear..

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
on the car

driverside only.. need to do some trimming of the the abs mount.. easy stuff.. you will not see the abs when done, there will be a chromed plastic cover, then the lens.. so it should look very ' factory'.. update 11.24 pm . oh yes,, this was not ' photoshopped ' i just noticed it looks that was.. weird...

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Interesting.
Curious to see what it looks like with the cover on.

Can you rotate the assembly a bit to get them slightly angled instead of vertical, or are you already locked in?
I'm thinking match the alignment of the lenses to parallel the vertical line/curve of the fender might be slightly more asthetically appealing, but difficult to tell until its all put together.
(I no longer have a workable art program or I'd edit the pic to show you what I mean)

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
not locked in.. but as you can see on the low beam. ( upper light) the line must be a 0 degrees to the ground.. on the back of the laights there is a flat section, that i can line up so both lights in the mount will be in perfect alinement..also there is not much room to mount the projection lamps any other way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bianchi, I am glad that you made progress with your idea, very cool.
Tifosi, Is this what you meant by slightly angled? I was also curious.
Either way it will be menacing looking at night...

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yuk !!!:):) i liked my set up better :):)

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
clod.. yes i have seen them but they are not real projection headlihgts.. they just stuck a lens in front of the bulb,( enlarge the photos ) real projection lights have a 'polyellipsoidal ( elliptical) reflector. so you cannot just put a second lens in front ot the bulb and call it a ' projection ' beam headlight, just a you cannot use one of those hid kits that you see on e-bay for h4 headlight conversion... the reflector is the main focusing point..as in these photos....see below the upper on is a ture projection light, the lower 2 are just a lens on a h4 light.. you will not get the same results with the lower 2..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Okay, I'm an old fart

What's the purpose here? Not enough light? Need more? Bulbs burning out all the time? Headlights just don't look "busy" or "techy" enough?

Really and honestly - why?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'll take "what's the purpose here for ten" by old fart.

Simple as better light I'd say. If you've ever driven a car with zenons its like night and day. Theres also the warm cozy feeling off achieving something project wise.

Personally I'd stick a dual beam projector kit in a generic 7" lamp housing... But the dual projector thing does look very cool and now (8c, Ferrari, etc)

I say points for trying something new and whatever floats your boat:D

Middle aged fart

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
kcabpilot... i was board over the long n. cal winter that we had... have been thinking on how to do this for a year.. just skecthing ideas... then 3 months ago.. found some projection beam units i could use.. tryed bmw's to hard to work with, found these at p&p , bought the headlight unit.. took it home, took it apart( very hard by the way ) and started working on it,, the finel drawing took shape 3- 4 weeks ago.. bought the abs 5 days ago, and had a try at it.. the other side will be much easyer to make, now that i have the drivers side done.. as for ligthing.. much better light, better pattern, no light loss to the owls at night.. drop your top, drive under some trees, reg.7" lights put light everywhere.. do you really need light in the trees? the projection low beam puts light in a very cut off pattern.. no wasted light,, all the light is funneled down the road.. look at you light pattern on a wall at 20-30 feet.. now find a car with projection lights.. same test.. you will be suprised on how much light is wasted on 7" rounds.. it go'es everywhere..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Why not just use Nineties Mercedes-Benz E Class, or Porsche 997, or even BMW MINI headlamps?

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's what I'm doing with my duetto speedster. Porsche lights, but it required reworking the fender in some significant ways. I will post a photo tonight

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i thought about it.. but in the end..i opted for a unit that would fit inside the alfa mounting points, metal work / shaping/ painting.. lots of money, my design... just stuff it in:):)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Headlight Option

Some photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just a little update.. i have instaled one of them in the car, last knight, they work great.. now i plan to make the other side, and get the patterns, so if anyone else wats a pair,i can make them

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry, low battery...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts