Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
propshaft
My smaller diameter 1967 Alfa Duetto driveline (compared to 69 on) has a front yoke which is worn out, not the U-joint, the yoke. I don't have the driveline in front of me,but from 1969 on is the diameter 70mm?

70 mm propshafts/drivelines are available out of Europe from Alfa Service. I may end up just using the wider diameter one, with 9mm bolts, and drilling out the short portion of the driveline from out the back of the tranny to accept 9mm bolts from the present 8mm. I am also removing my Dunlop based rear axle and installing a LSD 4.56 rear end so I have to drill something out, either the rear end of an 8mm based driveline to 9mm to match the bolt pattern of the front of my LSD diff, or use a 9mm propshaft and drill out my 8mm 67 duetto driveline. The following message was from Alfa-Service:

Dear Sir,

yes we have a driveshaft with 8 mm holes. The outer diameter is 70 mm.

The driveshaft with outer diameter 57 mm and 8 mm holes is not in stock.

Kind Regards

Papajam, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That looks like the Bertone prototype of the Giulietta. The fish is Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. I could be wrong on the car, but I know I'm right on the fish.
I have a later dif in my '67 installed by the PO. He used the whole '67 drive shaft. I have a spare from a '69, and it is quite a bit thicker. If you use half of each year the front and the back will be a different diameter. 57mm, and 70mm. Plus the driveshaft support bearings look different. Centerline has the rear driveshaft with the yoke with 8mm bolts . I would ask what the shaft diameter is because they list it as 1966 to 1971. I think your best bet is to find a good '67 rear driveshaft, and if the dif bolt pattern is the same drill the driveshaft holes out to 9mm. Or there's only a 1/2mm difference on each side of the 8mm bolts. Crank 'em down tight, and if they don't move, problem solved! Hope this helps Wes. Let me know if you want photos of the '69 drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tom

Thank you.

Fred is selling me a 67 drive tube which I will enlarge to 9mm from 8mm at the LSD. I'm balancing the whole of it, prop and drive shafts which just makes sense. I'm going to swap out the rear diff. because you don't find to many supporters of Dunlop based rear axles.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Good. Problem solved. I have the ATE's on the back, but Dunlops on the front. I have all the parts to convert the fronts. Sooner or later I'll find the time to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts