Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper torque for tightening a wheel lug nut on a S3. I don't want to just take an impact wrench to it!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I never let anyone do any of my vehicles with an impact gun - no matter what they say about how it's set. It's now the lazy way of doing a job at most all shops. It's also a great method of getting your rotors to warp especially the pencil thin rotors on "modern" cars. When I get tires, I'll bring my torque wrench and tell the tire gun I'll handle putting them back on. The smart guys (the ones that want a tip) will say "No sweat, I'll torque them for you."

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The screwed up part about impact guns is that they do have many various torque bar adapters for them (they look like extensions, but break loose or give a really obvious click when they reach torque level) which are relatively accurate and seemingly available in one or more mechs toolboxes in reputable shops, but they just never seem to use them.

Obviously getting a inspection is going to cause them to remove and reinstall a wheel, and I tell them every time what to torque it back on at.

Tell the shop owner up front before the car even goes in that if they don't use the adapter or a proper torque wrench and there ends up being even the remotest damage, they'll be paying for it all, starting at $300 per wheel + dismount/mount/balance, $100 per rotor, and what you will charge them for your labor, as you're certainly not going to let them install a part they screwed up by installing wrong to begin with.

Surprisingly effective at getting it done right the first time I've found.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts