Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking advice from anyone who has a clue about the uni joints for a 6C 2500 tail shaft or propellor shaft.

I am asking if anyone has replaced their tail shaft propellor shaft with a modern alternative.
There are two types of the original, one has 6 pins and the other has 10. I have a few of both but not enough of either to have a solution for my car.

I am also not sure of what type suits what car/application.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would also like to buy serviceable parts if anyone has a source.
Thank you.

Toby from Australia

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear Toby,

in fact there are three different types of Joints. The first one with ten thinner pins is of the earlier type. It uses simple rubber bushes rather than rubber-metal elements (silentbloc). I would not recommend to use These earlier u-Joints as you are almost certain to lose the rubbers under hard acceleration.

The are also two different versions of the 6-pin design. one with internal threads and one without. You should go for the threaded version to take up counterscrews to hold the metal-rubber elements in place. These rubbers can be bought from Italy, but as far as my experiences go, the rubbers are a bit too soft and of the wrong Shore-grade, but this might have changed. The whole joint with new rubbers can i.e, be bought from AFRA for a measly 1600 €. Remember, you will Need two of These...
We have decided to have our own rubber Elements made to be sure that they will be durable and stand the torque. If you wish, we could make you two u-Joints or overhaul your parts. If you rather do it yourself, we might have rubber elements in stock, but I got to have a look first.

In any case. all efforts will be in vain if engine, gearbox and rear axle housing don´t line up perfectly. You have to make sure that all elements are in line both vertically and horizontally, otherwise the whole assembly will throw out tthe rubbers after hard driving. Alternatively, you could have a modern propshaft made, but the space is rather limited. You would need modern universal joints and then reduce them to a shaft of approx. 50mm to pass the chassis and floor. I would rather keep the unusual, original parts, since I have a soft spot for the original design.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response Alfred, I will take it all into consideration before proceeding and will revert to you once I have considered more closely what you have suggested. Toby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts