Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help! If you open the attachment, I have 1991 2.0L Alfa Spider and replaced the flexible coupling (2) and carrier bearing (9). When I reassembled I did not press the bearing all the way tight to the cup (8) because it looked like it would rub when the shaft turned. Now I hear a ringining under the body when running that sounds like the cup vibrating. Should I press the bearing all the way tight against the cup?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Need help! If you open the attachment, I have 1991 2.0L Alfa Spider and replaced the flexible coupling (2) and carrier bearing (9). When I reassembled I did not press the bearing all the way tight to the cup (8) because it looked like it would rub when the shaft turned. Now I hear a ringining under the body when running that sounds like the cup vibrating. Should I press the bearing all the way tight against the cup?

Thanks!
I pressed my bearing as far as it would go. I did not put a lot of thought into this thinking that the cup will rest on the inside of the bearing and thus rotate with the shaft. I have different noise, like an owl, at certain revs. I believe becaus I did not properly grease the "Olive" bearing (5).

·
Premium Member
21,470 Posts
On my Super the ringing was one of the slinger pieces loose.

This is a wedge fit and needs to be/will get very tight. Norman Racing changed the center bearing on my Berlina recently and took hell to press apart, and then a big heavy hammer to put back together, then a torque wrench to zip down the fastening nut. Everything fine after that.

Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback from both of you. I have to agree that the bearing should be pressed tight to the cup and it will sit on the inside of the bearing, turning with the shaft. Looks like one more trip up the garage ramps (like this will be the last time the garage ramps get used!)
The comment about how tight that bearing can get on the shaft is true. The guy who pressed the bearing off the shaft for me said he had to go up to 8,000 pounds on the press to break it free.

Sam E.
82 GTV6 Balocco SE
91 Spider

1 - 4 of 4 Posts