Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it is stupid, but I just found out I don't know how to pronounce my car's model name! :(

How does G T Veloce pronounce in Italian?

How about SPICA? Is that SPEEKAR or SPY-Kar?

:confused:

The other day Jeff and I were talking something about the Super, and I thought he was talking about Subaru - stupid me. :D

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Ill give this one a try

G T Veloce = Gee Tee Vel Oh Chee

SPICA = Spee kah

That how I say 'em.

Is it the correct pronounciation? We'll have to sit tight and wait for the experts to come online.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Not an expert, but here goes.
AC's model is officially known as a 2000GTV. The word Veloce (vel OH chay) was not separated off. Of course we all know that GTV stands for Gran Turismo Veloce (grand [literally translated as large] touring [literally translated as tourism] fast [as in velocity]) Those translations are from Altavista.com's Babel Fish. I'm sure those of Italian descent will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe my GTV was the last 105 coupe that separated the word Veloce, as in Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

Simon, you got Spica right. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
A little off topic

...but a funny story none the less.

I learned Italian when I was a college student living in Italy. The first phrases I learned to say was "I love you" & "F*** off!" I also learned many other swear words before just about anything else.

One word I learned was a semi-derogatory word for **********…finocchio.

One day I went to a friend’s home for lunch. His mother was making a dish with Italian sausage. Imagine my surprise when she asked me in Italian “Do you like finocchio?” What?? I later found out that finochio has two meanings the one mentioned above, and fennel (the spice). The sausage she was cooking was spiced with fennel seeds!

I learned to get all meanings for a particular word or phrase.

Garrett

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Good one Garrett!

Reminds me of this guy that I ran into years ago. He was in the Australian Air Force and was on joint manuevers in the U.S. He walked into a bar filled with Marines and asked, "Hey buddy? Where do you keep all the f*****?" The whole bar came to a screaching halt. Had he not been able to rapidly back-pedal as he did, he would've been seriously injured. He meant cigarettes, not homosexuals.

Disclaimer: In no way am I making a statement against anyone's sexuality. It was just a situation that turned out quite comical.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Was assigned with a British RAF Officer once. When I first saw him, he was wearing the short pants tropical uniform and I mistook him for an Aussie. When I asked him what part of Oz he was from, he got a rather disgusted look on his face and said:

"I'm British and I'll have you know that there's no criminal background in my family, thank you very much."

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bertone coupes were never known officially as GTV's. The succession from 1600 to 2000 was Sprint GT, Sprint GT Veloce, 1750 GT Veloce and finally 2000 GT Veloce. This excludes the home market tax specials which were known as Juniors or just GT's without the Veloce.

Spica pronunciation is easy to remember, just remember the story about Alfa at the Daytona 24 in the 60's. The 33's entered had Lucas fuel injection. A bystander seeing one in the pits made some remark about the the absence of Weber carburetors and made the assumption that it was Alfa's new injection system.

The response of Dr. Tenney, who was in the pits with the team was: "No Spica, English."

Ciao,

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Have to agree with GiannB as here is a copy of a brochure:

Note the 1750 GT Veloce reference.

Pete

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
GianniB said:
Bertone coupes were never known officially as GTV's. The succession from 1600 to 2000 was Sprint GT, Sprint GT Veloce, 1750 GT Veloce and finally 2000 GT Veloce.
Uh, I meant to say that '67 was the last year that Giulia Sprint was used. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Thanks John, I stand corrected.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Another story of misunderstanding

This might be an urban legend.

I heard this story about a female French exchange student who learned only one meaning for "making out" and freaked out when the principle at her school asked her one day "How are you making out?"

Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Garrett:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Veloce is an adjective meaning fast or quick.
In Italian, the vowel "e" sounds like a long "A" in English.

valo'cha

Campbell, Angela ed. "Italian Dictionary." New York: Harper Collins, 1990.
P.349.

A dictionary is a terrible thing to waste.

Velocess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts