Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I bought Limoncello last September. We named her Limoncello, because she is yellow, Giallo Piper, and heck she’s Italian so seemed like a fitting name.

She has seemingly been a daily driver for many years and never restored. I can not find hints of accidents or other serious damage. There are couple small rust spots, but other than that top and bottom seem ok. I am sure I’ll find more structural stuff as I get into it.

Seemingly this car was used as regular car for a lot of years. She seems very original as there are no performance parts outside of an Ansa muffler. Still has the Spica fuel injection. Having said that, she is behind on maintenance and is quite a tired little machine. She is going to take some effort to get her to where I want to go with her.

So where do I want to go with her – well I am so glad you asked. Limoncello seems to the perfect car for me. Basically great shape, but enough stuff to keep me busy and excited to work on her.

My goals:
  • 5 year rolling refurbishment
  • Be able to drive her throughout the refurbishment process.
  • Bring her back to original to slightly better performance.
  • No Resto-mod
  • No race car
  • Just a great little drivers’ car.
  • Manage spend by spreading over multiple year.
The first and second bullet are really important points for me. I bought Limoncello to drive. Not have her parked for 5 years while someone else works on her. I want to do as much work as I possibly can myself and I want to drive her as much as I possibly can. Which means I need to plan each phase so I can be ready for bursts of effort so she is down short periods at a time.

She is not going to be a concourse car. She is going to come out of this being a super fun car that I am going to enjoy owning and driving.

Granted everything can change but here are my thoughts on phases (the phases equate loosely to years).
  • Phase 1 - Drivability/ Safety/Reliability. If I want to drive the car through this process, it has to start, stop and drive.
  • Phase 2 – Dash/Wiring - Dash is cracked and some electrical not working (e.g. intermittent gas gauge, no fuel light)
  • Phase 3 – Interior - Front seats recovered but the rest is vintage and worn 1974.
  • Phase 4 - Engine/transmission/differential - this is going to take a ton of thought on where I want to go so saving this for later phase.
  • Phase 5 – Body work – Rust repair, paint, trim.
First here is a couple shots of when I brought Limoncello home to Seattle, Washington.

IMG_4212.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Phase 1 - Driveability/Safety/Reliability

So I have started the work on Phase 1.

First off some basic maintenance:
Wash, polish and wax the exterior
Cleaned the interior
Fresh oil and filter change,
New Air filters
New Spark Plugs,
New Wipers,
Replaced Seat Belts,
New head and fog lights
replaced driver and passenger interior door handles

Here she is after the first wash, polish and wax. I think she is going to clean up nicely.

IMG_4240.jpeg

Now the real work is beginning.

The car has a very hard time starting. Once running it runs ok, but rich. I went through Wes Ingram’s book on the Spica systems. Tested Cold start solenoid, Thermo Actuator, validated various adjustments and all worked or was set as expected. So came to conclusion to send to Wes’s shop for complete rebuild. Removed pump, TA, and injectors and sent to Wes.

There the injection pump is tucked way the heck down there. And yes she was a pain to get out there are two bolts attaching the pump to the engine that are so hard to get to:

IMG_4585.jpeg

But I got her out and here is the injection pump on my workbench getting cleaned prior to sending to Wes.

IMG_4589.jpeg

With the Spica removed and off to Wes, I decided to spend the Easter weekend cleaning the engine bay. Still not perfect, but getting top coat of dirt off was satisfying.

IMG_4597.jpeg

That gets us up to date to this weekend. With the car sitting waiting for injection pump to come back I decided to tackle the rear suspension. Will write more on this in a few days to give an update.

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
Nice car and good plan.

She has had sill/rocker work because the rear vertical seams are missing.
Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pete,

This is my first Alfa and I am very excited to be working on it.

The guy I bought it from noted some refurbishment work in the mid '90's. I assume the rockers were part of that. Plus, I am really impressed with how sturdy the jacking points are so this makes sense now.

Greg

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Looks a very good acquisition Eddie. The colour is a bit like the Porsche Champagne Yellow. Nice. Those SPICA units look solid. What do they weigh?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Merv,

yeah, I showed my wife car after car after car finally when I showed her this one, she said she liked the color so I jumped on it and bought it before she changed her mind. Plus, I wanted something that was period based and this color screams early '70's like the champagne yellow on the Porsches.

I didn't weigh the Spica pump but guessing between 10 - 15 pounds.

Greg (Eddie752 is my username)

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
You have done well Greg. What have planned seems best designed to preserve what should be and restore what is needed. I am biased on the Champagne Yellow Porsche 356 colour ...

·
Registered
154 Posts
What delightful GTV, the color is a nice change from 501 Red. The paint in the engine bay looks to be in good shape. Good find.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since I have a few weeks with the car immobile while Wes has the injector pump, I decided to start on Rear suspension. One of the things that I found when driving the car is the back end was moving all over the place and shocks were pretty worn. So read a bunch on this site about how to replace worn rear suspension. This was a great start: Rear Suspension Bushing Change For Dummies. I followed Vin’s write up step by step. Thanks Vin.

Parts included: New Trailing Arms, All the bushings in Vin's write up, Koni red shocks, new GSA wheels and new muffler. My son and I were having a fun drive on some back roads here in Washington and I hit a bump, due to the soft suspension I think I must have jarred the exhaust as it started getting loud. We got home and took a look and the weld where the pipe enters the muffler was rusty and cracked. So time for new muffler. Nothing fancy as I am years away from what I plan to do with the engine.

IMG_4609.jpeg

The wheels on the car are pretty rusty. So, I spent a lot of time reading all about wheels and tires on this site and in the end went with the GTA wheel from Alfaholics (purchase and shipping from Alfaholics was actually a lot cheaper than buying them in the US) and 195/60/15 Yokahoma tires.

I wanted to also change the differential fluid, but found I didn't have a large enough allen wrench so at some point soon will have to go back in for that. Also inspecting the brakes are on this to do list, but for now the car stops great with no pulling to either side on hard braking.

IMG_4611 (1).jpeg

I cut one coil off the rear spring and to drop the rear just a little. Primed and painted the springs black.

Since I put new Koni's on the back I also went ahead and installed them in front as well.

Here is the finished product at the end of the weekend.

IMG_4624.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way if anyone knows how to get those philips screws out of the suspension straps I would love to hear it. I bought new straps and bump stop with the plan to replace them. I tried a large screw driver, a 12 volt bosch impact wrench with a large philip head and socket wrench with a philips head. No freakin luck at all on any of the 4 screws. to think I was able to do the entire rear suspension and couldn't get 4 philips screws out.

I was half tempted to drill them out. but held off hoping someone has a better idea.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Wonder why it has a late '70's cam cover with early '70's cam cover hold downs

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
By the way if anyone knows how to get those philips screws out of the suspension straps I would love to hear it. I bought new straps and bump stop with the plan to replace them. I tried a large screw driver, a 12 volt bosch impact wrench with a large philip head and socket wrench with a philips head. No freakin luck at all on any of the 4 screws. to think I was able to do the entire rear suspension and couldn't get 4 philips screws out.

I was half tempted to drill them out. but held off hoping someone has a better idea.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Looks like a great pick-up. Piper Yellow is a great color for these cars, one of the factory road test cars was that colour in Australia and it featured in a few road tests at the time.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Do you guys know why the valve covers have the square plastics pieces riveted in them?
These where installed on the valve cover to secure an exhaust air tube that crosses over to the air box. Installed on Alfa 2.0L motors, 1975 to 1980.
AAC_5672.jpg

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This and the cam cover bolts are not original to you car. You should replace to look correct if your really picky about originality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This and the cam cover bolts are not original to you car. You should replace to look correct if your really picky about originality.
Thanks GTA ALFA, Will definately consider. I sort of like the round allen heads, but yeah, if I decide to be picky about originality will swap these out. Engine work is way down on the list so have some time to consider.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts