·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks, this one is serious.....

Mechanically fine, needs a clutch MC.
Rust is at a minimum.

Needs a lot of interior work

Needs a repaint. I know that is a lot of work too.

What should be the base price?

Oh yeah, and less than 25k on the odometer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
If you can't drive the car, don't trust the speedometer. There is a component that fails internally on these units that records the mileage, so there is chance the odometer may not read the correct miles. Some work, some don't. Mine didn't. The part that fails is a double wheel arrangement. One large wheel goes around pushing a smaller wheel that turns the odometer. It is electrical and I wouldn't begin to offer how to fix it.
Interior can be fixed for about $500 dollars for seat covers from someone that can probably sew some up locally. About a grand for factory seat covers.
Looks to need door rubber.
what about the convertible top?
Is the car complete? Whats missing?
Clutch master...$100 plus.
Broken fan shroud...$40 about...check the motor mounts!
2nd gear?
Rust? Later spiders have some rust issues the earlier spiders didn't. I was blessed to have both a 79 and 89 at the same time. The difference in build quality was a surprise to me.
Suspension tight in the steering wheel?
Needs tires?
What is the asking price?
Car looks like it has just been ridden hard and put away wet like a horse. What does the owner say about maintenence?
A few questions to get you started.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oil in the radiator?
Water in the Oil?
Rust by the battery box. Tipically means the starter was ingaged for long periods due to hard starting. SPICA problems mostly.
Floor boards on the drivers side?

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is that, an 86 ot 87? That interior is trashed... is that rust on the headlight switch lever??? Did the PO leave it out in the rain with the top down for a long period of time (i.e., weeks?) I would really be concerned about electrics. All the hoses and plug wires look original, and that engine is really dirty, which makes me question the amount of preventative maintenance she's received over the years. You stated rust is minimal, but I'd like to see pics of the undercarriage. If 25k on the odometer is accurate, I would say she was abused pretty bad as a child, I think velocedoc's comment "ridden hard and put away wet like a horse." is pretty accurate. est $1000.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I guess initially I was looking at the odometer, thinking I've found a really low mile ride.

Too much to do to get it where I'd want it to be.

I'll keep looking-

If anyone is interested -I'll forward the contact information of the seller.
It was under $1000

Fib

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No way that thing has 25k! I don't believe it. My Spider says 29k, but it has over 100k (replaced speedo).

-brake fluid looks like coffee.
-in addition to underhood filth, look at the underside of the actual hood. Looks like something caught fire once.

It's definitely not a parts car, especially if the engine really does only have 23k on it. But you might want to have a parts car handy. It looks like it could be put back together and cleaned up and you'd have a decent car, but who knows what else is lurking.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Fibonacci said:
Yeah, I guess initially I was looking at the odometer, thinking I've found a really low mile ride.

Too much to do to get it where I'd want it to be.

I'll keep looking-

If anyone is interested -I'll forward the contact information of the seller.
It was under $1000

Fib

For under a grand, that'll make a great project if it's not rusty underneath (but with that rust on the cowl, i wouldn't be so sure...)

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Buy it for the parts if you have the room for it. What you pay for it, you can sell what you don't want on Ebay and make back your money. Keep what you need as a spare while looking for that car you really want. That is what I would do.
To get that car back to a decent condition will cost you some serious $$$$.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The original pictures are of a higher resolution. In the higher resolution, the pads on the pedals look relatively new.

I guess this may be a case study in how to ruin a car in less than 25,000 miles.

Per usual, the insight on this board is top notch.

I can't thank you all enough.
I'll keep looking, and keep posting them here for review -

Thanks!
Ciao!
Fib

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
For under a grand....buy it. It is not pretty now, but that can be fixed and the price is right. Even if you parted it out, you would be way way ahead financially.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
41 Posts
now i dont feel that bad that i paid 1300 for mine. Also purchase on ebay. I do have to replace driver side fllor pan and spare tire well, but it was running (rought but running) top is ok carpet ok, seat covers> Now is almost 1/2 apart as a winter project....away from the wife and kids

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Looking at the pic with the hood up, did anyone else have the thought of 'electrical fire near the coil or AC condensor at some point' pass through thier head?

On the flip side, it appears the AFM idle air mixture screw has never been tampered with. (at least the plug seems to be still in place at least which may or may not indicate no tampering ever happened)

Upholstery for that can be had from the usual sources for around $400-$500, (I stopped going to local upholsters when every one of them quoted me in the $800-$900 range for the same material as available through the catalogs and they all tried to burn me for about 5 yards more material than what was actually neccisary. I may be slow, but I'm not stupid), though the interior in general does look pretty trashed and the sunken clutch pedal does not bode well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Last year I bought an '85 silver veloce (nonrunning but complete) for $200.00 to use as a parts car, but since I got it running it's. now a "rescue". The interior not so good, needs top, rust in tire well, under rear spoiler and behind rear wheels. Apparently never hit, just not well taken care of. 35k on odometer, might be correct. If I get it to where I want it, I will sell the black graduate. Hope you find one that you're. looking for.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
$500 maximum for a parts car. It will cost you $4 to $5K in paint and parts, AND your time, to have a clean car.

Or you could advertise your clean car that needs a couple of small items and someone will ask if the woman comes with the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts