Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As acquired in 2013 (!), in process ,and later along in the process. it will start going together Monday. Thanks for everyone's help to date !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like something from the prior butchering that was missed. Oh well. So much for that paint job.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again for the eagle eye. The body shop is going to completely re-do the front. My mechanic/restorer had previously done a complete restoration of a 102 but that car was unmolested. This one had holes, scoops and louvers. And rusted out floors, rockers, no trunk, no gas tank, et., etc. We both simply missed those additional obvious holes. Better to catch it now than when the car is done.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Indeed, it is better to correct this kind of thing right now.
I am penned for you because the disappointment must be great, but the thing will be quickly repaired.

And your car is already very nice !

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Probably extra cooling for the SBF that was in there.

Heck, just leave them, and plumb a big, modern cold-air duct down there instead of the very restrictive filter pod that normally feeds the engine. Or put a big intercooler behind the holes, and refuse to open the hood at Alfa meets, just shaking your head with a conspiratorial wink.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And Fixed -On to the next thing

Thanks again to the eagle eyes on the board for catching the mistake!!

I am very happy with the color as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a 1967 330 in the shop and I fell in love with the color (and the car), So we got the code off that car.

Its "1967 Ferrari Argento" with modern paint. Really nice, some, but not heavy, on the metallic.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
It’s a stunning color.

Black interior, or something more Italian? Red, burgundy, saddle, green?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tough call. My mechanic votes grey carpet with black piping, black interior, black top, black cover

I am on the fence, don't want a mish mash of stuff but am considering as an alternative burgundy seats and door/side cards, grey carpet w/ burgundy piping, then black top and cover.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another plea for parts to finish this car

I have had contact with others for some of these parts - and I deeply appreciate those folks - but with the passing of time I need to ask a wider circle if anyone knows of availability for my 1958 (pictured above) of

1 - left and right door glass and the older style 2 upper door trim panels and side trim
2 - a hood latch
3 - the 3 pieces of the front bumper bracket ( I have bumpers). This seems like a part that should be able to be fabricated with good measurements.
4 - a glove box (I have a beautiful door, thank you Don)
5 - A complete E brake system to the axle
6 - a front hood prop rod.

I am excited to get this car done, but can't seem to get there.

Thanks. Parts, referrals and advice all solicited and gratefully accepted .

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Neil

I have two, new door glasses. However, I’m probably going to use them in my current project. Also however, I can have another pair made by a local shop. You say your car is a 58. What is the serial number? Do you have the metal mounting bars that the glasses mount into? Those are critical. If you do, and they aren’t rusted into oblivion, and you send them to me, I can have the new glass made and mounted into the bars.

I have parts to make new hood latches. Please send a picture of the flat plate at the front of the engine compartment that the latch mounts to.

I thought you have some sort of non-Alfa rear end. I don’t have a spare Alfa E-brake assembly, but wonder if it would work with your brake assembly in any case. You can now buy new E-brake cables from a Classic Alfa.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is really odd. I had a reply from Don which I could read on my phone. When I went to the BB on the computer it shows the last reply as by Don, but it isn't there.

In any event, from what I recall of the response, I do not have the bottom metal pieces for the window. Don, do you have a fabricator nearby I could visit who might be able to look at your parts and make what I need? This time of year it is a pleasant 2.5 hour drive through the trees to your location. On that point, I would be interested in having front bumper mounts fabricated as well. Your other post of today re door trim has inspired my Italian speaking mechanics in reaching out to AFRA for some parts. No word yet on success.

Thanks as always.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also - Car # is AR 10204-00172

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And now it is all there. Very weird.

Will send photos for hood latch.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
The fabricator I’ve mentioned is for the glass only. However, they would also remove your old glass from the bottom mount/rail guide, or whatever we should call it, and then install the new glass back into it.

This glass-guide would not be impossible to fabricate, but it would take tools not in my shop. If you could find someone to loan you a pair, you could find a local fabricator to extract a fortune from you to duplicate them, or you can reach out on the BB for a set.

BTW, there are early and late versions. You almost certainly need early ones. There may be differences in early and late glass as well, but I can’t confirm that. The window channels are narrow for the early, and wide for later.

There are early and late hood latches. I tooled up to make the early ones. The early are mounted to the flat panel by four screws arranged in a rectangle around the guide pin hole. The late latch has the four screw holes arranged in an asymmetrical pattern around the hole.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts