Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not the prototype wheels again, but the wheels from Gandini's sketch of the final production version. They look pretty cool, but I never gave them much thought until someone posted a picture of the Autobianchi Runabout concept car.

The Runabout was shown at the 51st Turin Auto Show which opened in late October 1969, which means Gandini may have worked on finalizing the Montreal (read: shoehorning the V8 into it) while simultaneously dreaming up the Runabout for Fiat. It certainly looks that way.

Nice wheels if you can get them, and probably even harder to find than the wheels on the show cars :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hear you on this one, TW, as I've never cared much for the turbinas, and I have drooled over that original drawing more than once. The wheels on the drawing reminds me somewhat of fuchs alloys with black centre and polished edges -at speed-. I think that would look great on the Montreal. I have never come across wheels that really match the Montreal, which is why I stick to the turbinas.

Yeah, its a 1. World problem. Happy new year, btw.

Helge

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I love the Montreal but would prefer different wheels if only I could find some that I really liked.
It is interesting to see the wheels on the Runabout. Alfa Romeo was very faithful to build the car exactly to the drawings that Gandini sketched. Every minute detail of the exterior and interior was produced exactly as Gandini designed it; glove boxes, dash, gauges, seats, fuse boxes, etc. Bruce 'MontreALmighty' Taylor captioned the above wheel picture in M-tEC: "The wheel style had not yet been chosen at this time". Makes me wonder if
Alfa Romeo decided that the prototype wheels and the Runabout wheels were not in keeping with the Alfa line? Nothing else seemed to be too extravagant for the Montreal with its fuel injected, dual electronic ignition, dry sump, quad cam v-8! The Turbina wheels are a pain to keep clean...

OBTW, I see a lot of X-19 styling queues in the side of the Runabout. Glad it has no rearview mirrors with the headlights mounted where they are it would be blinding to drive at night.
Mark

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, the X1/9 is more or less (much less) the production variant of the Runabout. This was also the first of Gandini's many wedge shaped, "angled" cars. Look at the Stratos, the Countach, the Marzal and the 308 GT4 and you'll find many of the same styling cues.

One reason for not choosing Runabout style wheels for the Montreal may have been the offset. The Turbina offset is a very low ET25, but these are offset almost to the extreme. Wonder how the fender flares would have looked with Runabout (or Alpine A310) wheels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts