Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Alfisti,

I am well into a head gasket replacement job and was wondering what I needed to know to replace the cylinder liner seals. I would imagine the liners slide off easy enough, then clean area out, put a new seal on the bottom of liner, put piston ring compressor on and slide the liner back in again. I couldn't find any info. Any pointers and heads up greatly appreciated. Cuore Sportivo!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the engine will need to be removed and the pistons and liners will have to be reinstalled when you replace the seals. Might as well do a complete "freshen up" of the engine. Some one correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think that you can get the rings back into the liner in the car.

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so that would mean that I would need to split the case?? Sorry if I am spaced out here but I have never rebuilt an engine. The engine is sitting on blocks on by garage floor. Could easily put it on my stand. Probably will do that anyways. Maybe best to let sleeping dogs lay, I had the engine rebuilt in 2002, so chances those orings are fine still for a while. Just would rather replace them since I have a whole rebuild kit (seals). I woulda imagined that the liners can be slid on with a ring compressor , somehow...

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
A couple of questions...I take it the heads are off the engine? Has the crank been rotated since the heads came off...if not...DON'T rotate the crank without hold downs on the liners.
Next...were you getting any signs of coolant in the oil...white milkish sludge on the oil fill cap. If not, do you have anyother reason for wanting to chance the seals? If they aren't leaking, I'd leave them alone.
If you have already rotated the crank without hold downs on the liners, the liners may have already moved and disturbed the seal. In that case, it may be wise to replace the seals.

To remove the liners, you need to remove the pan, take off the rod bearing caps and remove the pistons. I tried to remove the liners from the 164S engine I rebuilt. I couldn't get them out easily, so left them in. On a different engine, I turned it upside down and they fell out. So it all depends how easy they will come out.

In my opinion, you don't want to do this job unless you have a good reason for thinking the seals are leaking. I wouldn't do it because you have a rebuild kit that includes these seals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left the heads on as of now, but they are ready to come off. I have fashioned tubes with big washers to hold the liners down. It sounds like I will gladly leave the liner rubber seals alone however. I had no mayonnaise scenario in the coolant. Just random oil leaks I suppose due to not driving her often enough, maybe 2x a month. Kept on having oil in between the two banks, where oil pressure sender is, and no it was not coming from there. Cam seals and oil pump pulley seal have been replaced. I think also the oil pan with which I hit a man hole and got welded is leaking again. So new (used)oil pan, new headgaskets, fresh seals, except liner seals I suppose, should do the trick. I think this time my engine gasket set is Reinz, which is decent, right? Thanks for heads up!

·
1991 164L
27,915 Posts
Lock down the liners with your hold down washers and metal tubes on head studs as soon as you remove heads before you move crankshaft to prevent liners from moving and disturbing/breaking those delicate rubber liner orings.

Oil leak between the heads probably from bad tiny orings on two hollow oil fed dowels that feed oil to cams. Note that head gaskets have a rubber ring around holes that slip over those two dowels BUT there is also a small oring in groove in each dowel that need to be replaced. Good oring in each dowel groove and molded ribbed seal in each head gasket will stop oil leak in valley between heads.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The liners should only be removed if you have a leak
or are replacing the pistons/liners. If you don't take care of the cooling
system you can get corrosion at the liner joint. This is more common
on early four cyls but can happen on the V-6. if the liners are removed
you will need new liner O-rings (DiFatta) and use Hylomar or special
black aircraft sealant ( Hylomar I think as well). Like others have said
make sure you use spacers and washers to keep the liners in place
when you remove the heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.