Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while washing my "new" GTV6 today that the sides of the rear bumper are a bit loose and rattle. I'm still in fixing the small but annoying little issues, before I tackle bigger jobs like new cam seals.

From what I can tell to remove the rear bumper there are two big bolts at the shocks, then the whole bumper just pulls back and off, and the bolts on the sides need to come out the slots. But is it possible to tighten up those two bolts on the side to eliminate the rattles? Or does there need to be a little slack to allow the bumper to come off?

Alternatively, can you pop out the black center trim piece and get at the side bolts to tighten them up?

I'm finally patient enough to ask how to remove old brittle plastic after destroying my fair share of plastic trim over the years. I'm afraid to pull on that trim for fear of breaking it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I recall correctly, just remove two 17mm (maybe 19mm?) bolts attaching the outer bumper to the bumper struts. Then the bumper will slide off and expose the screws and clips that hold the plastic trim on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would advise against trying to remove the long black rubber impact strip. It's secured to the bumper assembly via 2 long threaded rods with tightening nuts to stretch it very flat. Those nuts are usually frozen in place, and the rods are molded into the rubber. The force of trying to remove the nuts can either snap off the rods, or break the rod out of the rubber. Unless you have a new impact strip available, you may want to leave that alone. If bad things happen, you're screwed.

The L-shaped plastic ends that wrap the corner have a keyhole slot to support the tips from flopping around. The long slot allows the bumper to move fore and aft, in case the bumper shocks get compressed in a minor incident. If the bolt head has popped out of the keyhole slot, you can just remove the bumper to reseat things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts