Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 1972 GTV 2000. I am getting absolutely no crank on turning the key. I am guessing that means either a loose connection to the starter motor or the starter motor itself is faulty. Annoyingly it did this last night forcing me to abandon the car. Then when I went back this morning and tried it again it fired up. Then got home and it wouldn't go again!

I have tried checking for bad connections but I am pretty hopeless mechanically and was hoping for an idiot's guide here!

I had the key barrel replaced about 6 months ago and noticed it wouldn't fire afterwards if you applied full pressure to the key. You almost have to allow the key back to the left slightly for it to fire. Anyway, now it won't fire at all. There is plenty of juice in the battery, I am getting lights on the dash when the key is inserted and turned around. But absolutely no engine crank.

So firstly - how on earth do you get to the starter motor? It seems buried under the engine with no way of accessing it without getting up on a ramp (car is now in my garage).

Secondly, how do you get the panel off to look at the ignition connections near the ket barrel. Looks like an allen key but I can't seem to get the bolts to shift and it is SO awkward.

Thirdly, is there any possibility there is a loose connection under the dash? I can't really understand why it went this morning but now won't go at all.

Here are photos of the battery, and under the dash near the key barrel (I replaced the red lead to the alternator today since the old one was worn, but this made no difference)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
You can have a poor connection in the power circuit that will pass sufficient current for the lights but not the starter. I suggest that you check the connections at the battery, at the connection of the battery -ve cable to the chassis, to the ground braid that connects the engine/gearbox to the chassis and if possible, the power connection to the starter. If everything looks good then you will have to check the circuit from the ignition switch to the starter.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
My money's on the ground strap to the chassis from the starter. I had that issue before. The strap appeared to be in place, but was only hitting the starter bolt on occasion. Jack up the front right wheel, place a jack stand for safety. If the strap is there, give it a tug to make sure it is fastened.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe that the startermotorsolenoid has a fuse(number 4?). Clean the fuses.

Did you try to pushstart it?

I had a similar problem in my 81 Euro Spider. I already had put in a new battery and had the starter reconditioned before I cleaned the fuses

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you hear a click when you turn the key to the crank position? If yes, then you are getting power to the solenoid on the starter motor.

The starter motor isn't easy to see, but is accessible from above, but you are working a bit blind with your hands under the carbs. Access is improved by removing the air filter box. Be careful working around on the starter motor. On mine, the main power for the car goes from the +ve terminal on the battery to starter motor terminal.

When mine failed to crank sometimes, it was because the starter motor teeth were jamming on the ring gear on the flywheel, because the starter motor mounting point on the gearbox bell housing had cracked and broken (meaning I needed a new bellhousing). Hopefully your issue is a more simple fix.

·
Premium Member
21,206 Posts
No fuse on the wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid (terminal 50 I think). It's direct.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
No fuse on the wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid (terminal 50 I think). It's direct.
I agree. It is not a fuse problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts