Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone...
I just changed the clutch on my 33 and the main pump that links with the clutch pedal, but the now the pedal is to hard to push and when i release it the car gets a lot of vibrations (on the first gear), or I need to rev to 1500 rpm not to have this vibrations.

I* know that when I changed the pump I didn't take out all the air as I was in hurry, could this be the problem???
I need your suggestions...

Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

First of all you need to bleed the clutch cylinder or else the air in the system might wear out your brand new clutch set as it doesn't fully engage...

Then, assuming that the clutch was replaced as a complete set (clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing) and properly aligned, I would guess that it needs a few kms to bed in.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gritsop;)
Thanks for replying. Yes the full set is changed and the main cylinder too, but why the pedal is so hard to push, normally should be very soft as it's hydraulic, is even worse that is was before with the old main cylinder. I don't think is from the air that might be inside, do you!?
Anyway I'm going to blow all the air out today and let's see what happens.

Thanks again...
Cheers
Elvis

·
Registered
519 Posts
was it aligned properly when it was replaced?
The pressure plate may be out of alignment, big problems, start again!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Clutches can vary in heavyness and if its new it could feel quite heavy. Just to be sure, have a look at the actuator fork and see if its sitting in the centre of its hole in the gearbox...it should be..and the slave actuator should be square. Id say if the circuit had air in it the pedal would feel a bit soft and spongy, if its hard Id say its the clutch, it may free up after a while.

Is the vibration very bad elvis? or does it just shudder as it engages? Did you have the flywheel machined? If not it could be slightly warped due to the old clutch slipping and heating it up too much.

If its not too bad, just let it bed in for a while longer, it may get better.

Good luck, Josh.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was it aligned properly when it was replaced?
The pressure plate may be out of alignment, big problems, start again!
Hi GTVnut...;)
I was there when in the garage they changed the clutch, so I checked everything. The pressure plate was aligned and I centered the clutch myself, so everything should be fine in there...if they're not centered and aligned how they should, you find difficult to put back the gearbox together with the engine,...right? We didn't have any problem, as we checked twice.
I just don't understand why the clutch pedal is not soft as it should be??? ???

Thanks!
Elvis

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutches can vary in heavyness and if its new it could feel quite heavy. Just to be sure, have a look at the actuator fork and see if its sitting in the centre of its hole in the gearbox...it should be..and the slave actuator should be square. Id say if the circuit had air in it the pedal would feel a bit soft and spongy, if its hard Id say its the clutch, it may free up after a while.

Is the vibration very bad elvis? or does it just shudder as it engages? Did you have the flywheel machined? If not it could be slightly warped due to the old clutch slipping and heating it up too much.

If its not too bad, just let it bed in for a while longer, it may get better.

Good luck, Josh.
Hi Josh, is good to hear form you again:D
Last night I bleed out all the air from the system, the only change is that the pedal has come up, but still hard. So at the end I agree with you and I believe is because of the new clutch (specially because of the new pressure plate).

It vibrates just when the clutch engages (on the first gear), when it is fully engaged there are no more vibrations. 2nd, 3d, 4th and 5th gears are not a problem.
Could this vibrations be caused from the rubber thing that is at the bottom of the gearbox where it holds to the car. {that part is consumed} and I can't find that item in here.
Ahhh, and what is the slave actuator, my English is not so good.

Thank you Josh for your advice;):D
Cheers...
Elvis

·
Registered
755 Posts
Can someone explain to me what is this as my English is crap...:eek::eek::eek::p, or where do I have to check? Any photo wold be helpful.
Cheers!
Ok, these things are hard to see clearly with the engine in the car, but worth checking.
The actuator fork pushes on the pressure plate and causes the clutch to disengage. Its a pressed metal thing and the top comes out on the left side of the gearbox through a hole in the gearbox bellhousing. Make sure its in or near to the centre of this hole. If its not then it is not sitting on its mounting pin correctly and can rub against the hole in the bellhousing causing a stiff pedal.
Another check to see if it is ok is to check the piston that pushes against the actuator fork from the slave cylinder, make sure its not at a strange angle. It should push on the actuator for horizontally.

If this doesnt make sense I can post some photos.

Josh.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is it possible that when the master was changed, that when it was reattached to the clutch pedal that the bolt was simply done up too tight?

I can think of 2 bolts in that pedal box that could be done up too tight to cause a heavy feel on the clutch...

It could also cause a vibration as it disengages in first gear because it's taking a while to come up.

Does the clutch pedal follow your foot up when you take it off? or does it take a while to catch up???

lenus.

PS. it may seem silly, but this happened to my accelerator as I forgot to put the washers back in.. :eek:.. I guess it could happen to a brake too, though I haven't looked to see how they swing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it possible that when the master was changed, that when it was reattached to the clutch pedal that the bolt was simply done up too tight?

I can think of 2 bolts in that pedal box that could be done up too tight to cause a heavy feel on the clutch...

It could also cause a vibration as it disengages in first gear because it's taking a while to come up.

Does the clutch pedal follow your foot up when you take it off? or does it take a while to catch up???

lenus.
Hi lenus!
I have already checked the pedal linkage, and the pedal moves easely, and when I relase, the pedal comes up following my foot.

Thanks
Elvis

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, these things are hard to see clearly with the engine in the car, but worth checking.
The actuator fork pushes on the pressure plate and causes the clutch to disengage. Its a pressed metal thing and the top comes out on the left side of the gearbox through a hole in the gearbox bellhousing. Make sure its in or near to the centre of this hole. If its not then it is not sitting on its mounting pin correctly and can rub against the hole in the bellhousing causing a stiff pedal.
Another check to see if it is ok is to check the piston that pushes against the actuator fork from the slave cylinder, make sure its not at a strange angle. It should push on the actuator for horizontally.

If this doesnt make sense I can post some photos.

Josh.
Hi Josh!:)
Is not necesary to send the pics, I know the part you are talking about, is just that we call it differently:D:p;).
I know that the actuator fork is not straight as I put like that. And you will ask WHY?: I did that when I changed the clutch. I thought I had finished and I turned on the car, I puted the first gear, released the clutch pedal but the clutch was still totally disengaged. So I had to move the actuator fork on one side of the hole in the bellhousing (down), and than the clutch was working. So as the fork is not straight even the metal thing that pushes the fork is not straight.

So what do you suggeste to do??????????
Probabely that is causing the stiff pedal.

Waiting for your answer, Cheers
Elvis

·
Registered
498 Posts
There is a locater pin inside the gearbox that that fork is supposed to "locate" on. AFAIK, if it is over that pin, it can't really be in the wrong place.

So if the fork isn't square you will probably have to put the fork back over that pin...

And from previous experience, I don't think this is possible with the engine in...

Lenus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts