Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Looks like there is a problem in my Spider`76; when I press the brake, there is a sound in the engine, like air.. when is idling sounds a lot. Maybe is the servo brake?

Anyone can tell me if I must change it? Is repairable?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,341 Posts
A simple test for a failed booster is to pump the brake pedal 5-6 times with the engine off (this bleeds off any residual vacuum). Then, while pressing down on the brake pedal - start the engine. The brake pedal should move down a little as intake vacuum is applied. If the pedal does not do that then the booster is likely faulty (assuming the hose is intact & the one-way valve on the intake is functioning).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.. The car is in the garage... and they said to me that the brake booster is broken... and I must to remplace it.... I´m going to wait for the weekend to check all you said.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
The second video is normal (in my mind) as this is the noise made when the choke lever is pulled out (it actuates the same device you are manually moving in the video). The sound goes away when the choke lever is pushed back in.

The carb mounts are easy to check - I use starting fluid or carb cleaner aerosol...Spray in the area of the carb mounts while engine is running. If they are cracked and leaking air, you will hear a change in the idle speed immediately. If the carb support rod is not fitted, the weight of the carbs bobbing up and down can crack / tear these mounts in no time, so ensure it is fitted. (I can't see it in the photos.) Generally, when these are rotten or perished, it makes the car idle poorly, as they admit air into the intake after the carbs, upsetting (leaning out) the mixture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts