Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 1959 two liter, and am having a problem with brake lights. Noticed the right brake light out about a week ago, then yesterday the left. Pulled both bulbs and they look fine and have continuity. Any thoughts on where to go from here ? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Two things come to mind:

If the contacts at the bulb are OK, you may have problems with the grounding of the rear lights. On the 2600 Spider, which supposedly has the same rear light as the 2000 Spider, there is a contact for grounding the base to the chassis -- but it was never used. Instead of using short cables for grounding the base from these connectors, Alfa must have thought that the 4 studs holding the rear lights in place must be sufficient. I find this approach problematic, as the (shrinking) rubber under the taillights and paint on the body under the washers and nuts almost certainly prevent the studs to make good electrical contact. So, I suggest you temporarily run a grounding wire between the battery negative pole and some of the studs holding the tail lights. If the brake lights come on, you know it's a ground fault.

Furthermore, if the the wiring harness of the 2000 Spider is made the same way the one in the 2600 Spider is made, there is a bunch of connectors inside the trunk (just above and in front of the left rear wheel well) where the main harness is spliced to the left/right side tail harnesses in the trunk. These connectors may have corroded and may require some cleaning.

Reactions: papajam
1 - 2 of 2 Posts