Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a nineteen year old car enthusiast and I just got my first Alfa, 1987 milano, 2.5, and the Alfa Romeo control light is what I'm wondering about. I've tried doing my research but I can't seem to find anything! It flashes when I turn it on and it sometimes stays on when driving. Any specifics on what it means/what the light is for? Much appreciated.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
Got the owner's manual?

·
Registered
738 Posts
So I'm a nineteen year old car enthusiast and I just got my first Alfa, 1987 milano, 2.5, and the Alfa Romeo control light is what I'm wondering about. I've tried doing my research but I can't seem to find anything! It flashes when I turn it on and it sometimes stays on when driving. Any specifics on what it means/what the light is for? Much appreciated.
Fastest way to "fix" an ARC

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,418 Posts
Click on the links I gave you above. They'll give you all the info you need.

Considering it contains the brake system, low coolant, parking brake, and alternator warning lights I'd say it's pretty far from pointless. You really want to have those things working properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not talking about the dummy lights, the actual big red square light that is labeled Alfa Romeo control. Pardon the primitive dialect, I'm new to the whole Alfa scene.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,418 Posts
The big red light is the master warning for the dummy lights. They're all connected and together they constitute the ARC. If any dummy light is lit the big red light will flash. You can turn it off by hitting the little black button.

If you fix all the dummy light issues, the red light should only flash if you have a problem.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
I did the repair for our Milano, not difficult, and it works well now, instead of flashing every time the sun came up, lol.

I think that for a few owners, the big flashing light is a good reminder to look at what is happening, some not seeing the small lights at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put a skull and crossbones sticker over it. It's a real thrill for the passenger. I wouldnt worry about it. The ARC's have a faulty part. It can be fixed, but that just takes some of the character away from the car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I once had a 75 TS overheat because of a faulty ARC, the alternator belt had snapped and since ARC didn't give any meaningful information about anything, I didn't notice the problem until the coolant boiled.

I'd say it pays to keep ARC working.

Which lights are on on Milano94's ARC?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put a skull and crossbones sticker over it. It's a real thrill for the passenger...
Haha, that is great! ((goes off to look for sticker))
Back in the days before anyone could print anything instantly on a sticker, I had a sticker in mine that was very official looking, it said WARNING - DO NOT OPEN WINDOWS AT SPEEDS ABOVE 200 MPH
You'd be surprised at the number of people who believed that a stock '87 Alfa could go 200! :001_tongue:

To Milano94, when I got my car my ARC came on indicating fault with the brakes; a local shop estimated $1000+ to replace the wiring harness (after a three-day diagnosis and appropriate fee$):rolleyes:. I figured out it was the third brake light - the bulb wasn't locked into the housing so it only worked intermittently. Pushed & turned the bulb and fixed it. Moral of the story: don't overlook the obvious (Occam's Razor)!
-Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts