·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Coincidence. I'm having the movie on right now.

' Congratulations Admiral!'
- ' We have only awakened a sleeping giant.....'

You guys did well there!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Gave us the excuse to come over and save your butt, Seinista - which you shall forever be indebted to us for and therefore must always agree with and support anything we do no matter how stupid or immoral.....;)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I met a really cool old guy that owned a campground in Mexico that was one of the few American pilots that actually got off the ground to try and fight. He told me he lasted 10 or 15 minutes in the air. To me he was and always will be a god to me. I've become a member recently of the oldest pilots club in the US here in Louisville. I love to hang out with the older members and hear their stories. It seems that the few guys left are from Viet Nam. Seems like it wasn't that long ago:confused: and I'm just 42......

Paul

·
Registered
268 Posts
GV,
seems you're pointing at the post I placed in another topic.
Like I said, I'm a student of US history. I've also been to many US war cemeteries in europe, from WW1 and WW2. I've also lived extensively in Canada and the US in the mid seventies. The period right after Vietnam. I've traveled all over, from west to east coast, Seattle to Florida.
My dad was an RCAF exchange pilot. He was in the Dutch air force, stationed in Portage la Prairie giving rotary wing instruction. As a member of the RCAF demo team we traveled all over the states, living on US air bases. I'll never ever forget Grand Forks AB, with dozens and dozens of majestic B-52's all over the place.
Later my dad was flying in the Dutch Grasshoppers demo team, and we traveled US air bases all over germany.
Believe me, I am a HUGE fan of the US military.
I just have a lot of problems with the direction your country is going. Sometimes your countrymen seem to forget where they come from. Maybe as an outsider, I can see that a bit clearer. In many ways, the still young US has come a long way, in others however, many Americans seem to have lost sight of many core values your great constitution stands for, or in politics, they don't seem to give a hoot. Countless the times I have defended your country against the left-wing here, for precisely what you state. You make mistakes, we do too, but when the sh*t hits the fan, who's coming in to help? Europe can't even seem to help itself, see Serbia and Bosnia in the early '90s.
But you know, when the bad guys do something bad, ok, it's to be expected. When the GOOD guys do something bad, two things happen: 1: you get blamed twice as hard, and 2: the question arises, with regard especially to the US, at least in the rest of the world: Hey, you're so good and fantastic, how come you think you have the right?? (not so much MY point of view, but over here the common point of view)
So when the US decides to do something, with customary 'Can Do' attitude, I feel that you ESPECIALLY have to think it over very carefully, and with regard to your constitution. Basically, that last thing is what I find lacking in your current administration, and generally, lacking in the population as a whole. Anyway, we'll see, election year is coming, and maybe a whole new political landscape.
Hey, I was in the US, on that day in september '01. I KNOW what you felt.
I can fully understand what moves your government. But sometimes stooping to the other guys level of stupidity is degrading, and you will always lose THAT fight. In stupidity, the other guy has much more experience.....
Anyway, the US kicked *** in WW2. Respect!!! Otherwise I'd be speaking German and sign off with a Heil...

·
Registered
268 Posts
hope , anyway, I'm not offending. Just trying to make some things clear...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I met a really cool old guy that owned a campground in Mexico that was one of the few American pilots that actually got off the ground to try and fight. He told me he lasted 10 or 15 minutes in the air. To me he was and always will be a god to me. I've become a member recently of the oldest pilots club in the US here in Louisville. I love to hang out with the older members and hear their stories. It seems that the few guys left are from Viet Nam. Seems like it wasn't that long ago:confused: and I'm just 42......

Paul
It's interesting that you said this, Paul. If I may I can share a story, too.

One of my best friends was a research scientist and guitar maker. We used to spend a lot of time together as he worked on guitars. One day he showed me a photo from WWII. There were a bunch of young guys at a crude airfield standing in front of a P-40 fighter ---the kind that fought in the Pearl Harbor attack. My friend then told me of his wartime experiences. He'd been a front line fighter pilot from '43 until 45, flying everything from P-40's to P-38's and P51's in both Asian and European theaters. Even though some of the world's best pilots and planes had tried their very best to kill him he had survived and, occasionally, outfought them all---even in something as inferior as a P-40.

Knowing him taught me something about genuine warriors. He was the kindest, most mild mannered of persons, the kind of guy who would defy any fictional image of a warrior. And yet, he was the real thing. While he never bragged about his experiences, he never tried to hide them either. If you asked he'd tell you, but you had to ask. Of course, I did. :) One thing that really impressed me was that he didin't hate his opponents: in fact, he respected their skills. For him he was fighting against political ideologies and not against people or their cultures.

Now that we are engaged in what appears to be WWIV (the Cold War being WWIII), I think about people like him in those times. Basically, they saved us---saved the entire world, in fact, from tyranny. Recently, I've been reading about Winston Churchill in the late 1930's. In those times there was the exact kind of denial coming from the left that exists today and Churchill was as dispised and ridiculed as Bush is today. People often use Viet Nam as the analoge for Iraq and Afganistan. It isn't. The real analog is Europe in 1938.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts