Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some quick tips on priming the fuel pump. The car is a 65 Giulia TI, with Weber carbs, and an electric Facet pump. I just went through rebuilding the carbs, blew out the fuel lines, replaced hoses, pump, and gas tank. I put 5 gallon of fresh gas in the tank. The pump comes on (it's very quiet compared to the old one, but I can feel it is on. It's not sucking the gas from the tank though, so I think it needs to be primed.....any ideas on how to get the gas flowing?

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
Some versions of the Facet pump are pushers and not pullers - the pushers have to be mounted level with or lower than the gas tank. And some Facet pumps have a built-in one way valve so fuel won't flow back into the tank They usually have an arrow to indicate direction of flow. Do you know which version pump you have?

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
The pump needs to be lower than the bottom of the tank. Then if the outlet is from the bottom of the tank the pump will self prime. If the outlet is from the top of the tank then you may have to pressurize the tank to prime the pump, depends upon the type of pump that yo are using. When I was using a Facet bendix type pump pulling from the top of my tank I had to occasionally pressurize the tank with a leaf blower. My current pump - a Carter P4060 will pull from the top of the tank without any assistance and it is half the price of a Facet.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure which model I got, I'll need to check....It's the one from Centerline, but the have their own part numbers FP455. The pump sits above the bottom, but the inlet is from the top anyway. I guess I'll need to try the leaf blower trick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts