Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1750 motor that someone is interested in buying and am posting this question to be fair to both the buyer and myself. What is a rebuildable 1750 motor worth? The motor is assembled in unknown condition, missing its ring gear, injection, starter and alternator, and headers, although I do have most of these parts if needed. It is basically a core that will be built with HP goodies. Thanks, Peter.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I'd guess somewhere between $200 - $400 but I'm interested in what others think. I bought two 1750's last year: one assembled and would spin but unknown condition for $200, the second supposedly a low milage rebuild but with no receipts for $750. I was pretty sure that the second engine was rebuilt by someone that I knew and trusted so I took the chance and lucked out. 190 psi on the cylinders and good oil pressure. Drop it in and drive. Lucked out on the first engine, too. Crank, block, head and liners were all reuseable. If they had all been bad of course the engine would have been worthless. My opinion is that both of these engines were bargins, a lot easier to swing if you don't need it "right now." Again, without receipts it's a bit of a gamble. 1750's do seem to command a slight premium over 2L engines.

·
Super Moderator
11,377 Posts
I agree with Bill, though some depends on how complete the engine is (accessories) and what car it came from. Like 1600's, good 1750's and parts are becoming harder to find. $200 for an unknown condition FI engine, or one incomplete, $500+ for a real Weber engine, complete, but unknown condition, or more for something special.
Gordon Raymond

1 - 3 of 3 Posts