Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to press in a new poly bushing in my front end. Very frustrating. I have tried many different methods but the bushing either flattens out our slips to the side. I am trying to press in using a bolt and 2 washers. This seems like a logical method to me but does not seem to be working. Suggestions please?

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Below is a photo of the fitting. I cleaned out all the old bushing and I have to assume that the pressed in bearing stays. I greased it up and greased up the bushing as well. I tried pressing both with and without the bearing installed. With the bearing it spread but did not press. Without the bearing it squirted out and moved. I am close to trimming off the lip around the bushing. It seems like it shouldn't do much anyway with a metal bearing in the center. I did notice that the same bushing from performatek has a bevel on the edge to make it slide in easier. Alas this one does not.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Do you have any means of making a tapered sleeve or the like so that it'll compress the lip as you press it in?

Mabe even a worm style hose clamp to compress the lip to get things started.

Once that lip is on it's way, I can't imagine it'll be all that difficult to slip it the rest of the way through.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Inner sleeve

I think you need to pull/drive/ or cut out the inner sleeve. From What I can see there is a left over part of the rubber bushing you removed. I havent done my front yet , but on the trailing arms I had to cut out the inner sleeve before putting in my Poly bushings.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to get them out if you are certain. That would certainly make things easier. The bushing I took out appeared to be frozen to those metal pressed in pieces. I thought they had just dried out from 17 years of sitting in a garage in south Texas but they could have been a single unit to begin with. I started to remove the sleeve but they didn't want to budge. Now I need a plan B as to how I will get them out. More on that latter. It does make even more sense when I think about it. I measured the diameter of the bushing and of the hole and the bushing is considerabley larger. With the metal sleeve removed they would be closer to the same size. I think I will try to carefully cut them out.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The outer sleeve of the old bushing is still in there?

Didn't catch that, but yeah, that'll give you fits getting the poly in.

If you can't press the old sleeve out, you can very carefully cut it with a hacksaw, making sure you don't get into the actual arm, in a 1-2 places then knock the bits out.

You might be able to spook up some pix of trailing arm bushings being done that way to give you an idea.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the sring I am now certain that is what the problem is. Having never seen what the original rubber bushing look like I was not aware that they had a sleeve around them. Thanks to all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts