Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently re-acquired a 78 spider that I had sold some 28 years ago.I found it at a hee-haw garage where the owner had left it for a repaint.They couldn't get it to run correctly and when it did run it would run very rich.They were considering putting "restricters" on the injectors to regulate the fuel and finally decided that it had a bad injection pump.The owner literally gave them the car for the time they had invested.I purchased it for a song.
After getting it home, I quickly discovered that the bosch(shankle) distributor had a Marelli cap on it along with two open plug wires,the new points had a gob of grease between the contacts,every screw and linkage had been moved,the pump belt had been timed wrong and none of the injection related filters had been changed since I sold it years ago.
I first corrected the ignition, renewed the fuel and pump oil filter,did the Spica tuneup and the car now runs very well.The only problem is that there is constant vacuum on the intake ports(8-10 #) at idle and when I adjust the linkage to close the throttle plates, the car will not idle.Otherwise it runs great,pulls strong,starts without touching the gas and idles at 700 rpm.I have tried adjusting the pipe on distribution box that connects to the airbox to no avail.Am I missing something or should I just accept what I have?
Thanks,DBULL

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, I used a set of manometers (as used in balancing SU carbs) on the ports in front of the butterflies that connect to the airbox.I can place my hand over the throttle body and the vacuum will suck my hand into it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks;the idle air hoses are definitely aftermarket and have screw clamps holding them on.I'll pull them in the morn and see if they're swollen shut.I have had the distribution box off and it was pretty clean.
DBULL

·
Registered
12 Posts
This morning I pulled the hoses off of the distribution box and found that I could only blow through one hose! The hoses themselves were open, so I ran a stiff wire through the nipples on the intake and sure enough, they were blocked.I'm going to soak them with carb cleaner before I put it back together and then reset my butterflies.Thanks,KC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.