Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my starter out ('71 GTV) and don't want to get into troubleshooting it myself. It has been getting slower and slower to turn since I got the car and while the car is out of service for other stuff I am looking to have someone look it over and suggest the correct service. Should I just send it to IAP, use one of my local electrical shops that doesn't know an Alfa from a Toyota or ? It seems like shipping it coast to coast is kind of extreme. Does anybody here in SoCal have a proven vendor for this kind of stuff?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You could look for that 'Bosch certified' sticker or sign at the local shops to see if they at least had some qualifications in the make.
Otherwise, a good starter shop can accomplish the job quite well as there's nothing mystical or super special in there to make it different than any other starter they might come across.

Solinoid? Check
Armature? Check
Brushes? Check
Bushings? Check
Bendix drive? Check

I got mine done at a local certified shop for about 1/2 what the usual suspects want for a repop, paid no shipping, and didn't have to wait even 3 whole days for it to come back to me. (he had to order new bushings which took an overnight)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts