Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired this car 15 yrs ago in northern Ca. Very solid, it has gone through a bare metal repaint. Finally we are onto assembly. The car came to me with carb off and with 2 rather incomplete webers. Am I correct in assuming the proper carb for this car should be a solex? And apart from proper is there a carb which is preferred for this car. Not looking for a hot rod,. want this one to be civilized.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If two Webers it would be 40DCOE2. This was standard on 1300 Veloces. But if orginality does not matter to you any DCOE 40 Weber can be set up to work with your engine. In that case you might just want to complete and restore what you have.

If this was a normale it would have had a single Solex 35 carb. This is sometimes replaced by a 36 Weber which is deemed an improvement by some.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
If two Webers it would be 40DCOE2. This was standard on 1300 Veloces.
Well, yes, but rosso never told us whether his Giulietta is a veloce (2 sidedraft carbs) or a normale (one downdraft carb). So rosso - which is it? Your sentence "is there a carb which is preferred for this car", your use of "carb" (singular) suggests it's a single carb'd normale. In that case, Sig's second paragraph is applicable.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes alas it is a normale. two webers arrived with it not on it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you are thinking of staying with a single carb you might want to read this thread:

Also have a look at the Webers you got with the car. If they are DCOE 2 they have some value even if incomplete.

Do you have a manifold for either setup?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as for the manifold, I have yet to check which it is for. The car is 90 miles away undergoing assembly. Engine disassembled and in the machine shop for examination. We will try to figure that out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The jury’s responses and testimonials to this carburetor query (including that 2014 link) are fairly polarized. My Normale 1300 came with its Solex which I had rebuilt by a fellow BB member. It started right up for me and its rebuilt engine this fall. My gas tank failed me for more gas, but it was smooth for the few minutes it got fuel. I was pleasantly shocked after a few years of reading sad Solex threads.

I too had searched answers to Solex vs Weber questions and decided in my case to use my “bird in the bush” method to first see and hear what I had. Until the snow & salt leaves, I guess the verdict is still out, but I do like that it’s factory-correct fitting and running for everything... so far.

For those of us whom are unaware of the correct parts and work necessary for a full-go, updated swap to a Weber carburetor, what does it entail?

1) What is the best Weber to buy? 2) Does the stock Normale manifold need to be reworked? 3) How much needs to be changed for the throttle parts and choke cable? 4) Will the stock air cleaner fit properly? 5) How much can this really snowball down to adjusting everything to reworking the cams and distributor? 6) Or is it just an easy and smart swap and shouldn’t be over-thought? 7) Or is a properly restored, not just rebuilt, original Solex 35 still the way to go for a non-museum-sitting, drivable Giulietta currently not racing Greig’s dad? ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Yes alas it is a normale. two webers arrived with it not on it.
We still don't know if you those two Webers are sidedrafts or downdrafts. If they're downdrafts, why not use one of those?

My Normale 1300 came with its Solex which I had rebuilt by a fellow BB member. It started right up for me
I'm also not getting why you don't just stick with that Solex if it's working well.

1) What is the best Weber to buy? 2) Does the stock Normale manifold need to be reworked? 3) How much needs to be changed for the throttle parts and choke cable? 4) Will the stock air cleaner fit properly? 5) How much can this really snowball down to adjusting everything to reworking the cams and distributor? 6) Or is it just an easy and smart swap and shouldn’t be over-thought? 7) Or is a properly restored, not just rebuilt, original Solex 35 still the way to go
All good questions. I'll take a stab at them, though others may have more experience:

1) Here's what Centerline recommends: Weber DGV Carb | Centerline International

2 & 3) The Weber downdraft will fit the stock manifold and (as I recall) the throttle & choke linkage with no modifications

4) The stock air cleaner won't just bolt on, but you can get an adapter. Here's a link to that part on the Centerline site: Weber DGV Filter Adpator | Centerline International Or you can just use an aftermarket air filter.

5) No changes to cams or distributor should be needed.

6) No need to over-think these things, but then that's part of the fun

7) If your Sprint is a "non-museum-sitting, drivable" car, then swapping in a Weber is common and perfectly acceptable modification. If you adapt the stock air cleaner, it won't be that visibly different.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the car came to me with no carb on it. did not come with a solex at all. have never driven the car though I was told when I purchased it in 2005 that "it ran when parked!!!!".
this discussion is, consistent with most of my alfabb experiences, very useful. we need to scope out what we have, and digest the options. my inclination is to source a solex but may yet be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Take a stab at a proper Solex.. and I mean stab...they are a dime a dozen even if you don't have the proper one in your stash.. Go through the gyrations to make it work. If you are lucky ...it might work . If you are just an average guy expecting it to work....it won't. When that happens get the Weber and don't beat your head against a wall. It's usually the last item on the list to fun driving that bites the deepest. Then you can say you have had the full experience. uncle

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi rosso,

My late (1963) 101 Giulietta 1300 Ti has the same Solex carb 32 PAIA-5 as the 1600 - 101 Sprint and Spiders.
The car was a dailly driver for several years, now I have to do some body work on the car first.
The carb works perfect, winter and summer, 5 km or 3000 km distance trajects, hill climbing , even on the circuit.
Ok I couldn't break the lap record of the' Zolder' Circuit here in Belgium, but it is always fun to drive that car .

The only failure I had a couple of times was in the middle of the winter at -10 ° C when one of the two main air jets got frozen, resulting in a time-out of a few minutes at the side of the road, just the time needed for defrosting the jet with the heat of the engine.
I like that car(b).

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Get the float height right on a late Solex PAIA with the oil damper for the secondary and you should be happy. My only other problem has been getting the emulsion tube leak free where it seats in the primary throat. I went with a drop of epoxy, though others will tell you to take a different approach. I'm very pleased with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts