Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
From the description on the web page, I'm not sure it was a pre-war engine. Without wanting to sound negative about what is written there, I must admit I have a hard time with respect to some unsubstantiated deductions or inferences that are presented. Let me translate, piece by piece, and as precisely as I can, what the page says:

Melkus - Veritas 1952
Bedeutung Typenbezeichnung : Der Veritas als zweiter Einsatzwagen von Heinz Melkus
Type Description: The Veritas as second race car of Heinz Melkus. [Note: This sentence is ambiguous and unclear with respect to whether it was the 2nd car Heinz Melkus raced or if it was a replacement car]

Den Veritas konnte Heinz Melkus sowohl als Sportwagen der Gruppe E ( bis 2000ccm ) einsetzen als auch in der Rennwagen Formel 2. Während die Sportwagen Kategorie mit dem Jahr 1952 auslief, erhielt die Formel 2 für dieses Jahr die Weihen der Fahrer Weltmeisterschaft. Das bedeutete, dass man so einen Wagen der WM- Kategorie ganz regulär mit polizeilicher Zulassung im Straßenverkehr bewegen konnte.
Heinz Melkus could drive the Veritas as a sportscar in Group E (up to 2000 cc) as well as a Formula 2 racer. When the sportscar category expired in 1952, Formula 2 received the credentials for the driver world championship. This menat that a car with world championship category was street legal and could be licensed for regular road use.

Am anfänglich eingebauten Alfa Romeo Motor gab es laufend Defekte. Die Avus 1953 war der letzte Einsatz des Veritas mit Alfa Motor. Im Rennen riss bei der Spitzengeschwindigkeit von 220 km/h ein Pleuel ab und zersägte den gesamten Motorblock.
The initially installed Alfa Romeo engine was prone to defects. The last use of the Veritas with an Alfa engine was on the Avus race track in 1953. During the race, at the top speed of 220 kph [about 138 mph], a conrod broke and cut the engine block into pieces.

Als Ersatz für den zerstörten Motor fand Heinz Melkus schließlich auf einen Autofriedhof einen luftgekühlten Zweizylinder- Boxer mit 1600ccm.
As a replacement for the destroyed engine, Heinz Melkus found an air cooled 2-cyl 1600cc boxer engine in a salvage yard.[/quote]

Technische Daten
Motor Alfa Romeo: Flüssigkeitsgekühlter 6 – Zylinder Viertakt Motor in Reihe
Pantin (Flugmotor): Luftgekühlter Zweizylinder- Viertakt Motor in Boxerform
Techical specifications
Alfa Romeo engine: staight 6-cyl, 4-stroke engine
Pantin (aircraft engine): Air-cooled 2-cyl, boker engine[/quote]

Fahrgestell: Rohrrahmen mit Kastenquerträgern und Zentralschmierung BMW 315/1
Chassis: Tubular frame with box-frame crossmembers and central BMW 315/1 lubrication.

Kraftübertragung: Kardanwelle auf Hinterradantrieb
Drive train: Drive shaft to rear wheel drive.

Aufbau: Roadster 2 Sitze mit abgedeckten Beifahrersitz
Body type: 2-seat roadster with covered passenger seat.

Fahrleistungen: Höchstgeschwindigkeit 220 km/h (Alfa) / 190 km/h (Pantin)
Max speed: 20 kph (Alfa) / 190 kph (Pantin)

Stückzahl: 1 (Einsatz 1952 - 1954)
Quantity: 1 (Driven 1952 - 1954)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wonder Alfa motor was used:confused:
A 6-cyl engine and he could start in the class "up to 2000cc"?
Where did Melkus find an Alfa 6C2000?

Best regards
Ciao Carlo:cool:

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The first car Melkus built was VW based, and is pictured on this page (top right):
http://www.melkus-motorsport.de/motorsport/rennautos/einsatzfahrzeuge/index.php?navid=22

The 2nd car was Veritas, with a 6 cylinder Alfa motor. I assume it was a pre-war motor, as 6c1500, 1750, 1900, or 2300...or pre-war 6c2500 motors would have been much easier to come by than a post-war 6c2500 in 1952. The motor was under 2 liters, so it is impossible to tell what it was without a S/N. It is also possible that a post-war 6c2500 motor was used, reduced in displacement, but again, I think it would have been easier and cheaper to find a pre-war motor in 1952. The Alfa motor only lasted a few races before it blew up, and was replaced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't think of any 6c engine with pushrods.More likely the author meant conrods.A broken conrod might 'cut the engine block into pieces'(with a bit of poetic licence),a broken pushrod would not.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I can't think of any 6c engine with pushrods.More likely the author meant conrods.A broken conrod might 'cut the engine block into pieces'(with a bit of poetic licence),a broken pushrod would not.
Actually the above translation should read rod instead of pushrod ... which would be potentially be consistent with it having been a 6C1750 engine, whose rods don't like high rpm.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
6c2500's are known for throwing rod's. The 6c2500ss that I had didn't have the engine in it when I got it as it had thrown a rod from what information I was able to gather. Babbit bearings, oil screen type of oil filter and not changing the oil often enough would lead to eventual failure is what I have learned leads to throwing rods in the old engines.
Now wouldn't that be a great car to find in someones barn. :)

I went to the web page that listed the cars information and searched around on the site. The guy was quite a racer. That little RS1000 Milkus is an interesting car. The pictures showing spare parts, lends me to believe that they might be remaking the car. Anyone know anything about this car?

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Sorry, this was my mistake: Yes, the translation should have been conrod instead of pushrod.
I corrected it in my earlier post.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of the early 6s were pushrod, such as the RL...but I doubt the motor in the Veritas was that old..

·
Registered
9,472 Posts

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How did you find out?
From one of the experts on obscure German sports cars on the Atlas F1 nostalgia forum, IMb site on the internet for automotive history. It would be nice to find out the S/N of the motor, or of the car that it came out of, but I think that is going to be impossible

1 - 14 of 14 Posts