Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All questions regarding the "Fangio" tour should be posted on this thread. For specific question, the contact person / Chair will be:

Robert Clauss: [email protected]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is there any in route hotel infomation available as yet ? I need to see just what cost I am up for. Are we starting from the convention hotel ?
Thanks,
pat

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any in route hotel infomation available as yet ? I need to see just what cost I am up for. Are we starting from the convention hotel ?
Thanks,
pat
Hi Pat, Robert Clauss is putting together the complete package and will be available in the March Owner. I do know that it will start from the Convention hotel and the complete route shall be available soon. Interestengly, many have already registered without any other info, but I understand that it is needed for most. Hope to give you more info ASAP. Actually,I may just post it on the BB in lieu of waiting for the Owner once it becomes available.

·
Registered
'65 Giulia TI (Bluette!) , '86 Spider
28 Posts
FANGIO tour preview

The Fantastic And New Greater Illinois Observation(FANGIO) Tour

Join us for a three day pre-conventin tour of northern Illinois, eastern Iowa, and southwestern Wisconsin, exploring wineries, historic sites and expansive vistas. We'll drive a bit of the first national road, the Lincoln Highway, see litlle known but noteworthy sites in all three states, view the mighty Mississippi from high bluffs, and drive incredible roads. One of these is not true-we will drive to Pike's Peak, and we will visit the birthplace of Juan Manuel Fangio. You'll have to come to fnd out which is a lie! The total distance of 500 miles will make for a comfortable pace that we can step up as opportunity provides.
We'll leave from the Convention hotel parking lot on Sunday, June 15th at about 10:00 am, and return on Tuesday evening. Your $50/car registration fee will get you in on the fun, and includes route books and special momentos. Hotels and meals are not included, but will be pre-arranged. All you'll have to do is call to confirm a room for each night. Come on!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
..Hotels and meals are not included, but will be pre-arranged. All you'll have to do is call to confirm a room for each night. Come on!
At this time, have the hotels to be used been determined? If so, which ones are these and do you know the rates which they will be charging?

Best regards,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fangio tour info

Hotels are being negotiated - that info will be available next month. They will be reasonable, we are not doing the California Mille here.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hotels are being negotiated - that info will be available next month. They will be reasonable, we are not doing the California Mille here.
That's good to read. We won't be able to make the tour, but we have fellow chapter members who aren't on the BB, and a reason they have not yet committed is that they weren't sure about the expense level...

Best regards,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fangio Tour Description Good enuf 4 Us

The Fantastic And New Greater Illinois Observation(FANGIO) Tour

Join us for a three day pre-conventin tour of northern Illinois, eastern Iowa, and southwestern Wisconsin, exploring wineries, historic sites and expansive vistas. We'll drive a bit of the first national road, the Lincoln Highway, see litlle known but noteworthy sites in all three states, view the mighty Mississippi from high bluffs, and drive incredible roads. One of these is not true-we will drive to Pike's Peak, and we will visit the birthplace of Juan Manuel Fangio. You'll have to come to fnd out which is a lie! The total distance of 500 miles will make for a comfortable pace that we can step up as opportunity provides.
We'll leave from the Convention hotel parking lot on Sunday, June 15th at about 10:00 am, and return on Tuesday evening. Your $50/car registration fee will get you in on the fun, and includes route books and special momentos. Hotels and meals are not included, but will be pre-arranged. All you'll have to do is call to confirm a room for each night. Come on!
Thanks, this gives a good general picture of what we'll be doing for three days (two nights) I'm ready to book.
Best Wishes,
Bernie and Diana Bennett
Brenham Texas
4 Automatic Air conditioned Alfas

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hotel Details for FANGIO Tour

Ah!, Fall Color too! <G>. Looks beautiful.

Best Wishes,
Bernie
Bernie,

sadly it is beyond our power to arrange for fall colors in June:D However, we have now finalized the details of the hotels for the FANGIO tour, and the group rates have been locked in:

1st night, Galena IL:
Ramada Galena $69.00 815-777-3235

2nd night, Dodgeville WI:
Don Q Inn $62.95 800-666-7848

Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations - ask for the Alfa Romeo Owner's Club group rate, and reserve with a credit card. There are many other hotels in both areas, in case you do not like our choices, but it's up to you to make sure you have somewhere to sleep.

We've also arranged for the Oak Brook Hills Marriott hotel to provide rooms on Saturday 14th and Tuesday 17th, the start and finish of the FANGIO tour. These rooms will be available at the club rates of $119 single/$129 double. Please let us know if you have any difficulty getting a room at these rates and we will sort it out.

See you there!:)

Dave J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fangio Tour Hotel Phone is 815-777-2043

After trying both last night and this morning to contact the Ramada at the phone # above (rang but did not answer), I googled it and got another number which was promptly answered. I have succeded in making the reservation.

Fangio Tour Hotel Phone is 815-777-2043 reservation for Ramada Galena IL --Sun. 15 Je 2008

Looking to forward to the Tour, mailed our Convention registration this past weekend.

Best Wishes,
Bernie & Diana Bennett

·
Registered
58 Posts
Please Note Corrected Phone Number for Ramada Inn

After trying both last night and this morning to contact the Ramada at the phone # above (rang but did not answer), I googled it and got another number which was promptly answered. I have succeded in making the reservation.

Fangio Tour Hotel Phone is 815-777-2043 reservation for Ramada Galena IL
I'm not sure where the misquoted phone number came from, but I can confirm that 815-777-2043 is the correct number for the Galena Ramada. Thanks for posting this and letting us know! :) Sorry to all who may have been trying the wrong number...:eek:

Dave J.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FANGIO Tour Update

The FANGIO tour is proving to be very popular. We now have a convoy of 15 Alfas signed up! A wide range of Alfa models and years is represented. With a great route coming together this promises to be a really fun event.:)

Some of you have asked if you will be contacted prior to the tour. You should be hearing from Robert Clauss, event organizer and Verde level sponsor, sometime early in May. But please go ahead and make your hotel reservations to ensure you have a bed at the overnight locations. The hotel information is given earlier in this thread - do please note the correction to the Galena Ramada telephone number.:eek: The tour will start from the Oak Brook Hills Marriott on Sunday morning. The club rates of $119 single/$129 double are available at the Marriott for the Saturday night prior to the tour, so you won't have to travel to the starting point.:cool:

Example of the wonderful Victorian architecture in Galena, IL

Dave J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pre-FANGIO Tour Contact

Hi: We're just 9 days from hitting the road and being less than efficient about getting email, so if there will be contact prior to the event, we'd love to have it sooner than later.

Currently it looks like we'll be bringing our Charcoal grey, Automatic 1991 164 L (for sale), the car we'd intended to take around Lake Huron, last year. It's air conditioning issues and mechanical condition have been dealt with and we are looking forward to 25 mpg + of $4.?? per gallon premium.

We will go via OKCity, OK then Lincoln NE and the International Quilt Study Center and Museum. Then two days in the Starved Rock area.

Next on to downtown Chicago for some pre Tour / Pre Convention shows and tours and the Jazz Fest (can anyone recommend which of the many acts (on Thursday, Friday or Saturday) would be especially good? We have reservations for a Saturday 4 pm Frank Lloyd Wright program and tour.

Sunday after Mass we'll show up at the convention hotel for the 10 am departure.

Looking forward to the tour and will have space in our back seat for a non smoking passenger interested in the tour.

If no group contact is made soon, fellow tourists wishing to drop us a note may email us at [email protected]

Best Wishes,
Bernie and Diana Bennett

In AROC USA's 50th year, our 29th US national convention (and 1 Canadian)/ Summer Vacation trip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi: We're just 9 days from hitting the road and being less than efficient about getting email, so if there will be contact prior to the event, we'd love to have it sooner than later.
I checked with the tour organizer, Robert Clauss. He is planning on contacting tour participants starting June 1st, after a final dry run of the tour is complete. If you have any questions or need information before that date, he can be contacted as follows:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 847-818-1090

Thanks,

Dave J.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tour info sent to participants

I've sent an email with basic tour info to all participants who provided an email address. A couple bounced back. I'll call all those who have bounced, and those who do have email, as well as those who do not confirm receipt of the info. There is some info I've requested, such as confirming that hotel reservations have been made.
If you'd like to read the basic tour info about where to meet and when, etc, just let me know and I'll send it to you.

Robert Clauss
[email protected]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Volunteer Appeal for FANGIO Tour!

Dear all,

were you thinking about joining the tour, but your Alfa is not ready?:( Do you have a couple of days free to follow a wonderful group of Alfisti and their cars on a series of fun and scenic roads? Well why not volunteer?!

We are looking for sweeper/breakdown vehicle and driver; we have a trailer but the truck we planned on using is out of commission.:eek: Responsibilities are to follow behind the tour and provide mechanical assistance as needed, including trailering to a safe location. Gas costs will be covered, and the entry fee will be waived. We'll even throw in a free convention T-shirt!:D

If you can fill this role, please let us know as soon as possible. You can reply to this post, send me a personal message, or contact the event chair directly:

Robert Clauss: [email protected]

Many thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
And They're Off!

Rain, thunder, floods and fallen trees could not hold back this group of Alfisti from setting off the 2008 Convenzione D'Oro. The FANGIO Tour is ON! Good luck to all participants, make sure you bring bail money!:eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts